What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AHRS Location

jamcgee1978

Afternoon all,

As the emp is rapidly coming to the end and the wings are on order i had intentionally left rivets out on the forward bottom skin to accept the Vans supplied AHRS Mount, however i can see that it states it is only for the Garmin/G Rapids units. Where have most installed Dynon AHRS in the -10?s? Top of the bulkhead seems to be the favourable choice by builders.

Thanks
James

Justin T

I used Justin T's plans. He gives you a nice to-scale design you can print out and use as a template.

I left a few rivets out so that I could get the angle perfect once the tailcone is mated to the fuse.

This is what I did. Note the use of copper wires instead of steal pins for the hinges.

Carl
ADHARS_4.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

ADHARS_1.jpg

ADHARS_2.jpg

Similar location, but a bit lower since I plan on a Comm VHF antenna on the top skin.

Brass mounting screws with the intention of adding washers if I need to shim and fine tune the level of the AHRS.

oEB.jpg

In process so I know things are not tightened or connected yet. :)

Copper hinge pins?

No weight advantage. Certainly a greater than zero dissimilar metal voltage potential (too lazy to look it up.)

I get that steel pins would risk magnetic interference, but wouldn't stock aluminum pins serve?

The drop-down tray is beautifully executed, but looks like overkill for modules you don't normally need to get at but once during the life of the airframe. :confused:

No weight advantage. Certainly a greater than zero dissimilar metal voltage potential (too lazy to look it up.)

I get that steel pins would risk magnetic interference, but wouldn't stock aluminum pins serve?

The drop-down tray is beautifully executed, but looks like overkill for modules you don't normally need to get at but once during the life of the airframe. :confused:

Just a data point......

After five years of flying, I've had to go back there two times.

1. Replaced a failed Crossbow ADHRS. For some reason, I used slotted brass screws on the original install. It became very apparent why that wasn't a good choice when I tried to remove them.

2. When I upgraded my EFIS to AFS 5500, I also upgraded to the Dynon SV-ADAHARs.

I did build a tray similar to what others have described. Except that my tray was too close to the bulkhead to accommodate the hoods for the db-15 connectors. I had to relocate the tray forward a bit.

Back