What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sepsis has just taken a good friend

TomVal

Well Known Member
I am writing this in part to unload some of my grief over a family member and good friend whom both contracted sepsis. My special needs niece, age 27, has contracted sepsis three times. She was just released from the hospital two days ago. The prognosis, because of her vulnerability to sepsis, she most likely will not live a full life.

To add to this, I received notice that my friend, Cary, in SC unexpectedly passed away yesterday from sepsis after a brief hospital stay for a minor biopsy procedure. He passed four days after his hospital visit.

Cary was a retired businessman and longtime airplane owner. He has a beautiful Kitfox powered by a Jabiru engine however was thinking of selling it for a Comanche so that he could fly down to the Keys where a relative recently purchased a home.

Cary was one of those airport personalities that you always looked forward to seeing at the aerodrome. Cary having built a jet BD-4 and then the Kitfox, was always available to lend a hand with my -12. As a matter of fact, Cary was the only person that I allowed to fly the -12. I’m deeply saddened for his family and for the unexpected loss of a good friend.

Here is some information taken from the Mayo Clinic website:

When to see a doctor
Most often sepsis occurs in people who are hospitalized. People in the intensive care unit are especially vulnerable to developing infections, which can then lead to sepsis. If you get an infection or if you develop signs and symptoms of sepsis after surgery, hospitalization or an infection, seek medical care immediately.

A photo of Cary from our most recent flight together to Triple Tree:

IMG_0466.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. It is always difficult loosing good friends who really become family.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, sepsis is serious stuff. I've had two bouts of it the past two years, both blood infections caused by blocked bile ducts. Each one was a near death experience for me. Many of us are getting to that age where we start losing close friends and family to various illnesses. Cherish each day. It is a gift from God.

Back