What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket...First Flight

TomVal

Well Known Member
On Tuesday, Dick Johnson?s Rocket took to the skies for its maiden flight. The test flight was about as perfect as it could get. The engine ran flawlessly, the aircraft was in complete hands off trim, the control harmony was smooth and responsive.

This project was completed in 6 years with over 6000 hours of labor.

Dick is planning to fly the Rocket to the Watsonville, CA air show in June (???) and then take it to OSH.

200904f1rocket2d.jpg

Beautiful perfectly describes her. What paint system? Who painted it? Enquiring minds want to know:cool:

Paint

Beautiful perfectly describes her. What paint system? Who painted it? Enquiring minds want to know:cool:

Dick painted the Rocket outside his hangar with many, many, hours of color sanding. The airbrush work was done at a professional paint shop. I don't know the type of paint system used, but I will find out.

nice

Looks like another page for the VAF Calander to me. I would love to hang a pic of that on my shop wall If you don't mind!!!!!

Rich

Matching Golf Cart & More...

That thing is beautiful! And a matching golf cart to boot....

It is not too hard to guess Dick's favorite color. His hangar walls (top half Harley Orange, bottom half black and white checkerboard); Harley, Corvette, and I wouldn't doubt his house...all painted orange.

Paint Details

Here are the details of the paint scheme:

Primary color: Tangello Orange, mfg House of Colors

Brite Argent Silver (PPG)

Light Argent Silver (PPG)

2021 DCU Clear

Paint Gun: Finishline FLG 3

The paint scheme on the wings / wingtips are also equally impressive. I hope the above details help.

Caution Viewers...Not for Weak of Heart!!!!

I'll let these photos speak for themselves...enjoy!

122220080202t.jpg

122220080092.jpg

50720090052.jpg

050720090032.jpg

7212008066.jpg

7212008046.jpg

Tom that is absolutely amazing!!! I liked the first pic you posted and now I am in disbelief! The attention to detail / fit and finish is really motivating! Man do I have a lot of work to do!

- Peter

Stop on by...

Nicely done Tom and congrats! Mine is approaching 15 years old and 1000 hours and still flies like, well...a Rocket! It just keeps getting better...
Stop by our place anytime, although you might get it dirty landing at The Swamp...:)

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Tom,

Please also pass Dick my congrats and admiration for his work of art! Ought to bring home lots of hardware from the shows!

Any chance you or Dick have pix of the engine after final install. I'm very interested in his dual plenums and induction system. My Super Six has a single plenum that cools quite well, but if the separate plenums add performance or decrease cooling drag, they's sure be worth considering. And those carbon fiber inlets are awesome! I'd also be really interested in how the induction air is routed to the engine. Mine "snorkels" down from the left inlet, and enters at the upper/aft portion of the Ram Air inlet, and I'd love to see if there is a "better mousetrap"!

Hope I can fly into KSEE next time I fly to San Dog, and come by and visit! And like Smokey said, the door is always open up at Reno/Stead too, if you guys ever come this way! (We have a desert instead of a swamp, and no cool Red, White and Blue Rockets, but you're always welcome!) :)

Nice job!!

Cheers,
Bob

Plenum's & Stuff

Any chance you or Dick have pix of the engine after final install. I'm very interested in his dual plenums and induction system. My Super Six has a single plenum that cools quite well, but if the separate plenums add performance or decrease cooling drag, they's sure be worth considering. And those carbon fiber inlets are awesome! I'd also be really interested in how the induction air is routed to the engine. Mine "snorkels" down from the left inlet, and enters at the upper/aft portion of the Ram Air inlet, and I'd love to see if there is a "better mousetrap"!...

Bob

Bob,

I will PM you with Dick?s email. Yesterday, I had my farewell luncheon with my fellow airport bums. The wife and I are headed to SC for about a year on Friday. I am sure Dick would be happy to discuss any of his mods.

Dick has been quite humble about his project. Several weeks ago, I asked him if it would be okay to post some photos of the Rocket. Yesterday, I encouraged him to login in to the VAF website to read about the many positive comments. I saw him yesterday, and he was in fact deeply appreciative of all the great feedback.

I don?t have any more pics of the final install but perhaps Dick does. He manufactured the dual plenums, carbon fiber inlets, and exhaust system. The plenums were designed as quick release, all it takes is pulling 3 pins on each side to remove them. The carbon fiber inlet project involved many attempts at perfecting the mold, and then perfecting the process of building up the carbon fiber inlets. He also has carbon fiber cooling ducting on the rear of the engine. I believe (I could be wrong), his induction system is fed through the lower cowl inlet.

I told Dick that since I have become his pseudo PR agent, I expect to take half of all prize money. He hasn?t responded to that.

Regards,
Tom

Visit

Nicely done Tom and congrats! Mine is approaching 15 years old and 1000 hours and still flies like, well...a Rocket! It just keeps getting better...
Stop by our place anytime, although you might get it dirty landing at The Swamp...:)

Smokey
HR2

Smokey,

I'll pass this along to Dick. You guys would really hit it off...he is an old F-4 pilot with one "Dead Bug" and DFC to his credit!

Regards,
Tom

... The wife and I are headed to SC for about a year on Friday....
Make sure you get on the SERV matronix list. It is the source for all the RV action in the SE.

I believe (I could be wrong), his induction system is fed through the lower cowl inlet.
You can see the inlet on the lower cowl.

Man, that thing looks fast just sitting there. What a great job on the engine installation!

Tom,

Thanks for the details and for the connect...will get in touch with Dick.

Safe trip and best of luck in SC!! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Cool - I love how all three controls (Throttle/Mix/RPM) are fed through to the rear quadrant.

Nice touch!

Cover Girl....Dick Johnson's Rocket

Dick Johnson?s ?Rocket? will be the feature article and on the cover of Kit Plane Magazine. The Kit Plane folks are coming out today for the interview and photo shoot.

200904f1rocket1.jpg

Regards,

Dick Johnson?s ?Rocket? will be the feature article and on the cover of Kit Plane Magazine. The Kit Plane folks are coming out today for the interview and photo shoot.
Glad to hear that. I, for one, look forward to reading about and seeing more pics of this stunning airplane.

Whirlwind Prop

Looks like a Whirlwind RV-200 (3 blades) CS prop and the engine produces 270 + HP ???

Dan,

Yes, it is a Whirlwind prop. The engine was highly modified but I don't recall he HP output.

The Kit Plane folks were out there yesterday taking photos so perhaps the performance particulars with be published in the upcoming article.

Regards,

200904f1rocket2.jpg

...makes you want to build a what???

What a nice looking Rocket! Makes me want to build one.
--Stan

Stan,

Since you built, flew, then sold me your -8 (Dec 07), you've completed a Glasair and then a beautiful RV-7, now you're thinking about building a "Rocket"...gads!!!:eek: I need a nap!!!

Dick flew his 40 hours out of your home airport (RNM). His aircraft was stored in Pete Hunt's (PcHunt) hangar during the fly off.

Best Regards,
Tom

Tom are there any photos from above the wing? i want to see the pattern of silver/ tangerine on the wing surface, i catch hints of it from the other photos.

Wing Photos

Tom are there any photos from above the wing? i want to see the pattern of silver/ tangerine on the wing surface, i catch hints of it from the other photos.

Danny,

This is the only photo that I have showing the wing:

122220080202.jpg

Regards,

Back