What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reuse of wing attach close tolerance bolts

petersb

Well Known Member
Need to trial fit wings, then remove for painting. Think I should use close tolerance bolts to get an accurate position for drilling the rear attach bolt. Any problem removing and them reusing the bolts for final assembly?

Also will leaving out the one large bolt that hides behind the main gear weldment (RV7 A) cause misalignment when I drill the rear attach bolt.

Peter

When drilling the rear spar, there will be absolutely no measurable difference when using hardware bolts. On the 10 I use a giant set of polished nails. A little lube and they slide right in.

Use hardware store bolts!! It won't make any difference and you will probably ruin the close tolerance wing bolts.

Be careful of the finish

Rod stock with a bullet nose is what I used. No threads to cut the finish!

To answer the poster's question, yes, it is OK to reuse the close tollerance bolts. RV wings have been pulled after assembly for a number of reasons (dont ask me why) and the same bolts can be used. (Agree with replies on using temp-bolts for rigging.)

If you're going to use the good bolts, be sure to obtain a brass drift to get them out.

Back