What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Release

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hello folks,

What are most people recommending for the canopy release handle. I don't see many protruding through the panel as called for in the plans.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

I just shortend the factory handle and put it on the sub panel. It takes up too much room on the panel.

IMG_2435-M.jpg

The top part of the T-handle needs to be removed, or the tip up frame will interfere.

With a RV-9A no aerobatics, so why would you want to eject the canopy?

I just mounted my T-handle vertically.

(Click to enlarge)

The other option is to simply bolt it in place.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, don't want to eject the canopy, but wanted to be sure it would be easy to get on and off.

Any more pictures?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, don't want to eject the canopy, but wanted to be sure it would be easy to get on and off.

Any more pictures?
I haven't had it off since its final installation, not once. That includes two panel changes, one engine & cowl change, and painting.

OTOH, I've had mine off several times in the last 22 years. Sometimes it's just so easy to "pull the handle and lift it off".

Not necessary but much easier to work behind the panel.

here's one. it was a tight fit to clear the CDI behind the panel. orientation depends upon your panel layout.

IMG_20150606_164349.jpg

Last edited:
A tad complicated but if you like a challenge ...

I wanted to build the standard Vans canopy jettison handle installation, because they designed it that way. I also decided I didn't want it on view because it is ugly. I had been admiring those glare shield panels on executive and heavy jets, so I came up with this:

200frck.jpg
2vct113.jpg
1zmph6b.jpg

It is simple to build. The bottom and sides of the 'box' are pieces of channel from a botched elevator spar and I cut some spare 063 sheet for the face plates .

The center plate covers the jettison handle and, unlike the two side sections, there is no bottom to the box across here. The cover plate is slightly V shaped and the edges are chamfered so that they tuck in behind the counter-chamfered edges of the face plates to each side. With this set-up, gravity holds it in place very firmly. The center plate is also not full height so that it escapes these chamfers if it is raised by about 1/8in or more.

Of course, the C-702 fwd skin of the canopy has to be extended aft over this sub panel so I bought some sheet and made a new one incorporating the extension. As a bonus, I got a custom fit along the longerons and eliminated the little triangular gap where the side skins extend forward of the longeron bend.

Back