What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UHMW Tape for 9s?

Loman

Well Known Member
Do the RV-9(A)s flaps need the UHMW or stainless tape on their leading edges even though their design is different from the earlier models?

Do you fit it to the flap or the underside of the wing top skin aft edge or both?

I put the UHMW tape on the underside of the wing and none on the flap.

My plane flew for two years before paint and you could see some light scratches developing on the top of the flap where it tucked in under the wing. With the tape in place and three years of flying, I see no such scratches.

UHMW Tape

Same as N941WR. Tape under the wing and none on the flap. If you overlap the tape a bit on the trailing edge of the wing skin, you can then zip it off with a razor blade for a nice invisible and flush edge.

I have the UHMW....works, but....

it's on the underside of the wing, but obviously it was hard to install, as there are a few wrinkles. Everywhere else on the plane the UHMW was exposed, and has yellowed and is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove cleanly.
....by all means just use some paint protection film as suggested...it has a little stretch, and is much easier to apply, & replace later if needed.

Bear to remove

I had UHMW on the flaps, it had cracked and yellowed with age, 6 years and 360 hrs hangered. When I did the new paint I replaced it, crazy amount of work to remove, the plastic peeled off in brittle fragments, then I used every remover I could think of to get it off. I used a combo of scraping with a metal putty knife and remover, when clean reapplied the new stuff. The centre part of the roll wrinkled when I applied it like it had been stretched. After I was done I found out I could have applied it to the underside of the wing skin, out of direct UV....do yourself a favor and apply whichever you choose to use on the underside of the wing skin.

I am a day or two from applying the PPF to the flaps, turtle deck and maybe fuse side to protect from the sliding canopy.
I have thought about appying to the underside of the wing instead of the flap but the tape is to prevent scratches. If dirt gets on the tape under the wing it will still scratch the flap paint.
Since others have had luck I am rethinking.

By the way, I shopped for the 3M PPF (Paint Protective Tape) from a lot of sources and the best price and service I found was Flyboy. I did not need to buy 40 yards of the stuff and he sells by the foot.

Back