What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinge pin firewall penetration?

Loman

Well Known Member
Anybody got any smart ways of taking the horizontal cowl hinge pins through the firewall?

I have been thinking of running some solid brake line from the No. 2 bulkhead through the firewall to act as a kind of conduit for the pin, but how do I secure it through the firewall?

I need to do the same thing. On my plane, the firewall penetration almost touches the sidewall flange so a bulkhead fitting won't work.

I haven't picked a solution, but E-6000 cement & 'Shoe-Goo' have come to mind. Those products are extremely tough without being brittle, and are infinitely adjustable. :)

Charlie

I used a section of hinge glued to the sidewall with pro seal. Pin inserted through the air vent intake. The hole through the firewall is small and filled with the pin, so it was mainly guiding the pin to the hole with the hinges. Works well, but plane is still under construction.

Hinge Pin

I used a AN3 bulkhead fitting on the 2nd bulkhead- from there to the firewall- steel brake tubing- cut it so that when flared with a tube nut it will be tight to the firewall- insert from inside through firewall- flare tubing- tighten to bulhead fitting- seal with proseal. Thread an AN3 cap nut, thread hinge pin assemble with locktite. Insert hinge pin from inside, tighten AN3 cap nut- clean, looks like it belongs and secure.

Back