What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surface damge around thru bolt.

N360DF

Gents,

Unfortunately the A&P have damaged the surface around the thru bolt.
Properly while pulling the bolt.

I am pissed but please I need to focus the energy for
a solution. All advice is welcome.

I hope a countersink and dye pentrant may be an option ?

Best regards!

AACaWXqfSVM9lPph_CrmllhLa

Hopefully you're not pissed at the mechanic as this is not his fault. Chamfer the hole just like any drilled hole and move on. Care would have to be taken to not allow the chips to fall inside the engine.

Well if the mechanic had used proper tool this had not happened.
The engine is in parts so no chips will be inside.

Hopefully you're not pissed at the mechanic as this is not his fault. Chamfer the hole just like any drilled hole and move on. Care would have to be taken to not allow the chips to fall inside the engine.

Correct, all of them should include proper tools.
And second, know how to use them.

And now I hope you respect my wish to focus on the solution to fix the damage.

There is no proper tool for this task. There is more than one way to remove the thru bolt.

Fix

I am sure it can be fixed by countersinking/chamfering "just" enough, but it is an expensive part, so I would take it to a good machine shop that has the right setup, rather than risk making things worse. It will not be a big job for a professional, but obviously needs to be done so that the parts can seat properly.

From what I could see from the pictures . . .

Did this happen while the case halves were being separated?

Suggest lightly "Draw file" with a sharp file then debur the edges like normal.

As long as the mating surface can be returned to "flat" and the stress concentrations relieved, I would think you'll be ok.

FWIW

Back