What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil screen

rv4dude17

Well Known Member
Is it really necessary to use the cylindrical
shaped oil screen behind the oil sump drain plug
if you use an oil filter? What?s the use? How
many people just take it out?

Keeps the pump gears from being destroyed by large flakes, chips, pieces of cotter pins, etc. The oil pump is ahead of the oil filter. Not wise to take it out.

I don't have personal experience yet, but Vic Syracuse said in his RV Gotchas webinar that it is important to check and that many people don't check it and he finds nasty stuff when doing condition inspections.

Keeps the pump gears from being destroyed by large flakes, cotter pins, etc. The oil pump is ahead of the oil filter. Not wise to take it out.

Correct, that is the suction screen, keeps the big stuff from entering the oil system prior to the filter.

It's not that big of a deal to check and clean on an o320-d1a . Takes probably 15 minutes to check, clean,reinstall, and safety wire.

Thanks,
Justin

Like others said, I would not remove it and I would routinely check.

Easy off but can be a mess on A models if you don?t use a few towels to catch the few oz of oil. It is a bit of a pain to safety wire it after reinstall. I check it every other oil change or about every 80-100 hours.

Back