What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL ECBs and Avioguard

Loman

Well Known Member
I thought I understood these units when I bought them. Now that I come closer to installation time, I find I don't understand at all how they should be incorporated into the power system. I am beginning to think my level of knowledge is not up to using these products, certainly given the manuals supplied.

Does anyone have a power system schematic incorporating either or (just possibly) both of these units.

I have two ECBs and one Avioguard

Obvious really

In answer to my question, Paul Sistern of Partsforaircraft (my MGL agent) has advised by email that the Avioguard should be connected to the master contactor and feeds clean constant 13.8v (with battery backup) onward to an ECB, which can then be used to supply and control up to 8 circuits for sensitive equipment such as avionics. He also confirms that the Avioguard handles a max TOTAL of 10A, not 10A per output channel. So the total of loads controlled by an ECB, plus any other loads that are fed from a single Avioguard, must be kept within 10A.

In my design I will connect the second ECB directly to the master contactor and use it for less sensitive equipment. All 16 circuits from both ECBs can be controlled by panel switches and/or the EFIS screen. I am considering not having separate panel switches for avionics, so that they come on with the master switch, because the Avioguard guarantees that they cannot be harmed by power fluctuations during engine start. Load shedding would then be handled using the EFIS screen.

A schematic showing the use of Avioguard and/or ECB would still be nice if anyone has done one and is willing to share.

Back