What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glass panels

Flywade4

Has anyone had any experience with MGL. My 14 is about ready for electronics
Was thinking about Dynon but I sure like the press button display of MGL.
Thanks

Dynon, AFS, MGL

I have used the MGL Extreme EFIS, and V6 radio in my RV4. Never experienced any problems and customer service is excellent.

You may want to look at the Advanced Flight Systems (AFS) 5000 series screens. A nice combination of touch screen and buttons. Again excellent customer service. I am currently using the AFS 5600 in my RV8.

I have been delighted with my MGL Enigma in my Sonex. I have had nothing but great service from their US office.

That said, when I bought my panel for the 14, I went straight Garmin G3x Touch. Dynon was my second choice.

Why? I have always considered their product line to be VFR only. If I had built the 14 for VFR only I would have strongly considered their products.

My perception of their product line was formed awhile ago so if you are attracted to their products, I would give them a serious look.

I have a now legacy MGL Odyssey in my RV8 since 2011. A few minor problems in the beginning mostly due to my lack of computer knowledge. But overall it has performed very well and has more features than I will ever use. I also have the MGL V10 radio which performs flawlessly.
I would go with MGL again in the future and don't see any reason to consider MGL VFR only.

Right now I am building a panel for our motorglider project using an MGL Discovery Lite and their V6 radio. Only have it on the bench, havn't flown it - but from takign it out of the box to addign power (with all sensors connected for trial) took about twenty minutes - using their pre-built cables.

I am looking forward to flying this combination, as it is about the last of the available EFIS's I haven't used.

Paul

I haven't installed a glass panel yet but MGL will be one of the top contenders when I do. They offer a lot of customizability that some of the others don't, and I value that highly.

I simplified my engine instrumentation a bit as an interim measure using three of their standalone gauges and they have all worked perfectly. As others have mentioned, customer support has been excellent but I haven't needed much.

Back