- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon smith View Post
Aarons is a combiner and shipper for twenty or thirty little fastener suppliers in the SC aviation heart land. I get Torx screws from them and they eventually arrive and have always been what I ordered. Customer service is non existent and always specify USPS Priority mail or they will send them UPS 3 day which can be expensive. If you don't order at least 100 of any one part number you will get screwed. Also the coatings affect the cost. With SS, black and waxed is a good choice. They do have 4-40 100 degree Torx screws.

IMO Torx are the only way to go if multiple future removals is anticipated. A quality Torx driver bit is also essential, Snap On sells them on line for four bucks a piece.
Did a search on Aarons. Wow 6-32 cad plated 5/16" long screws. 10 for $306 cough cough. WTFO? I think I can replace all my phillips 6-32s each annual for the next 10yrs for cheaper than that.
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniago View Post
Did a search on Aarons. Wow 6-32 cad plated 5/16" long screws. 10 for $306 cough cough. WTFO? I think I can replace all my phillips 6-32s each annual for the next 10yrs for cheaper than that.
Most items are priced by their demand, if you buy screws in 1/2" lengths you will see much better pricing, unless you buy at least 100 you will get raped as previously stated. If you only need a couple stay with what you have. I recently removed the instrument panel and wheels pants from a 12. A hundred screw purchase to replace the Phillips removed easily justified the the 100 lot purchase. Unless you are willing to inventory bulk items like fasteners stay with what you have.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Most items are priced by their demand, if you buy screws in 1/2" lengths you will see much better pricing, unless you buy at least 100 you will get raped as previously stated. If you only need a couple stay with what you have. I recently removed the instrument panel and wheels pants from a 12. A hundred screw purchase to replace the Phillips removed easily justified the the 100 lot purchase. Unless you are willing to inventory bulk items like fasteners stay with what you have.
I get the massive order Vern, but lets look at reality. 1/2" 6-32 flat head in cad Type #1 (which is silver, and I'm ok with that) is ~$950 for 1000. A reasonable size quantity I think. So a buck a piece. Really. Same size from Spruce in phillips 6 cents a piece in Cad TypII (amber). At no order size up to even 25000 pieces is this cost effective.....unless youre also buying $500 hammers and toilet lids.
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
Microfasteners.com has 100deg torx: http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...Category=FCMXS

button head:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...bCategory=SBXS

I love 'em...they don't strip and they can be torqued tighter than phillips screws. I completely avoid phillips head screws if I can.
FWIW: I replaced all my philiips screws with 100 degree TORX from Microfastners in 2007. They have been excellent in durability and extremely difficult to strip. YMMV

www.puertoricoflyer.com
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
FWIW: I replaced all my philiips screws with 100 degree TORX from Microfastners in 2007. They have been excellent in durability and extremely difficult to strip. YMMV

Those I see are stainless. SS on Al promotes galvanic corrosion in the presence of water.. Do you use them on the exterior of your ship or just interior? If exterior, how have you combated the corrosion issue?
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 09-14-2017, 07:19 PM

Dissimilar metal contact is always a problem and water makes it worse. Since aluminum fasteners are a non starter you make the best alternative choices. SS is a good start, SS coated and waxed is better, there are better coatings available but the cost goes up. The retention features of nut plates does not help the problem because it likes to wipe/scrape off the coating we just spent a lot of money for, which brings me the the issue of Aames prices.

Below is a copy of my last invoice from them for 6-32 and 8 32 x .500 SS coated and waxed. Average cost about $.45 each in quantities of 100. Torx is expensive always (China does not make them yet) SS is always double or triple the cost depending on grade, Coatings are always an added cost and waxing is more still. Are they worth $.45 each? Ask someone that tried to drill out a stripped Phillips head screw without damaging the pieces being screwed together.

I'm not promoting a senseless argument about value, it always in the mind of the beholder (screwer) I have no more to say on this topic.

Thank you for your order.

========== GENERAL INFORMATION ==========
Company: Aames General Store, Inc.
Email: Sales@AamesGeneralStore.com
Phone: (714) 838-3575
Order date: 8/21/2017

========== ORDER INFORMATION ==========
Payment By: Visa 4XXXXXXXXXXX2955
Purchase Order: 794
Order: OnlineOrder_00025253

Product Name: Qty. 100-#6-32 x 1/2, MS Machine Screws, Torx Socket Drive, Flat Head, 18-8 Stainless Steel, Black Oxide & Waxed, RoHS Compliant, Torx Socket T-10 Driver, 82 Degrees Countersink, Machine Screw, Full Thread, DIN 965 Type
Item#: 7040TF2553
Unit Price: $42.28
Quantity: 1
Shipping Method: USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box

Product Name: Qty. 100-#8-32 x 1/2, CS Machine Screws, Torx Socket Drive, Button Head, 18-8 Stainless Steel, Black Oxide & Waxed, RoHS Compliant, Torx Socket T-15 Driver, Cap Screw, Full Thread
Item#: 7041TF2585
Unit Price: $47.43
Quantity: 1
Shipping Method: USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box

Shipping & Handling: $14.10
Grand Total: $103.81

Special Order Instructions
Please ship in USPS small flat rate box.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Product Name: Qty. 100-#6-32 x 1/2, MS Machine Screws, Torx Socket Drive, Flat Head, 18-8 Stainless Steel, Black Oxide & Waxed, RoHS Compliant, Torx Socket T-10 Driver, 82 Degrees Countersink, Machine Screw, Full Thread, DIN 965 Type
Maybe a dumb question, but aren't the dimples and countersunk holes in our airplanes 100 degree countersunk, rather than 82?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Wink Snap on Wobble Driver

I had the good fortune of getting this advice/recrecommendation from a fellow RV'er. Buy Wobble head driver bits from Snap On. They cost about $6.00 each and are a very handy addition to your screwdriver. These bits have about a 15 degree movement side to side. This enables the user to drive or remove screws that need a slightly off center driving position ( when not able to get the tool squared to the screw). I won't travel without one.
regular VAF donor despite being exempt

Last edited by patterson : 09-15-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but aren't the dimples and countersunk holes in our airplanes 100 degree countersunk, rather than 82?
Not if youre using Homedepot countersink tools! Just kiddin...... Yes, aviation= 100.
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Great catch, several months ago I purchased 100 7032TF2085 8-32 x .5 Torx flat head screws that were listed as 100 degree. I ordered the ones on the order form above more recently. I went to the same area on their web site and ordered the 6-32 assuming it would be 100 degree as well. I looked into it today and they do not list a 6-32 Torx 100 degree.

I sent them a note asking if 6-32 100 degree are available as well as a request for an RA. Now we will see how easy they are to deal with on returns