- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM

Default Hex/Allen vs. Torx(Plus) vs. Phillips

Ok.. I'm tired of stripping out phillips head screws.. Just driving me nuts. I'm also redoing the interior of our bird, so I'm thinking about replacing all the phillips with either hex/allen head screws or Torx screws..

The things that obviously are a down side that I can think of is the lack of common tools. If I break somewhere finding a Torx 15 bit may be hard. However, if I keep a tool kit with a couple Torx bits, I'm golden.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with any other reasons to stay away from something other than phillips?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM

I had a problem stripping Phillips head screws, until a few months ago someone suggested touching the screwdriver tip to some valve grinding compound. The compound really grips the screw. Between the compound and using good tips I have not since had any issues with stripped screws at all!! I carry a small tube of it in my flight tool kit.
RV-4 O-360 FP (Sold)
Orlando, FL
Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Wink Maybe try a new aircraft bit? Screw too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Ok.. I'm tired of stripping out phillips head screws.. Just driving me nuts. I'm also redoing the interior of our bird, so I'm thinking about replacing all the phillips with either hex/allen head screws or Torx screws..

The things that obviously are a down side that I can think of is the lack of common tools. If I break somewhere finding a Torx 15 bit may be hard. However, if I keep a tool kit with a couple Torx bits, I'm golden.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with any other reasons to stay away from something other than phillips?

Screws hold a large part of aviation together.
Cadmium Plating protects the aluminum, so stick with it. Stainless steel is corrosive to the aluminum when there is any moisture present.

Use decent aircraft screws and Aircraft Spec driver bits. Yes they wear too, so does the fastener, but the object is to fasten parts together with no short or long term damage to the airframe.

We sell quite a few these to repair stations

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com...ephyr-bits.pdf
www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp

28th Anniversary of GAHco March, 2012
Thanks for being part of our success
Dues Paid November 2012

Last edited by GAHco : 10-07-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 AM

I've had far fewer galled heads once I got a couple of good Phillips screwdrivers (Snap-On #1 and #2). The Crapsman screwdrivers were okay for some stuff, but when it comes time for serious assembly, good tools are worth the price. There are probably better ones than Snap-On out there, too, but they work very well for me.

RV-7A N660WS flying!
#8,000
Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 AM

I've had particularly bad luck with interior screws lately myself... I'm using nothing but good Snap-on and Wiha drivers and bits, but even so it's far too easy to strip them out, especially on the screws that are impossible to drive straight, like the ones that hold the center tunnel cover on forward of the spar carrythrough on the 7. It seems like the holding torque of nutplates is higher than the stripping torque of the head. I ended up running a tap through all the nutplates that hold screws that are hard to get at.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Tools!

Got a cordless electric screw driver from snap-on recently and is my current favorite tool. Makes removing a large number of screws pretty easy. Clutch lets the tool slip instead of the screw. Turning the tool by hand locks the clutch.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
RV6 #2 tail done and wings done
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post

Microfasteners.com has 100deg torx: http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...Category=FCMXS

button head:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...bCategory=SBXS

I love 'em...they don't strip and they can be torqued tighter than phillips screws. I completely avoid phillips head screws if I can.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. -Woodrow Wilson
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Well.. You could always convert to camloc's.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Default It depends on the location of the screw

In difficult to reach places, such as up under the panel, fuel tank cover, or along the sides of the seat pans, I use cap screws. Under the seat cushions, I use pan head screws.

To access those cap screws I use three tools that I keep in my traveling tool bag. One is a bit driver that has a storage compartment in the end of the handle. I keep four bits in there; flat, Philips, and two sizes of allen bits. To get to those hard to reach spots, I use a flexible extension that can accept a bit one end and inserted into the screwdriver on the other end.

Of course, those tools can also be used in a cordless drill, to speed installation and removal.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM

along the sides of the seat pans, I realized when it came time to install the pans that I had never installed those nutplates. I knew they'd be a chore, both to install the nutplates as well as to install and remove screws, so I put speednuts and PK screws there instead