VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Default WTB: Tires - 380/15-5

Looking for a set of usable 380/15-5 tires before I pull the trigger to buy new.

(Retreads currently not available from either Desser or Wilkerson)

Ben Kaufman
801-319-3218
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Used 380/150-5

Yes, I think I can help you if you are willing to wait a month. I am planning to change mine at this condition inspection in Oct. I think they are still very serviceable for a bunch of hours so you can try them out to decide if you like them.

I was kind of planning to call Dresser to see about re-treads and see what core credit they might give me for mine. If they do give a core credit, I would sell you mine for that amount, plus shipping.

I really like the 380/150-5 tires a lot. On sandy dirt and gravel at my gliderport, it makes a huge difference. On grass, it makes a small difference. I don't know that I could tell the difference on asphalt.

I set my wheel pants a half-inch higher than the plans show, which allowed plenty of room inside for the bigger tires and gave a little more ground clearance even with the 500-5 tires. Now with the 380/150-5 tires it has good ground clearance for grass, etc.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 450 in 8 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Tires

Steve,

Thanks. The resourcefulness of this forum never ceases to amaze me. A reminder that a great deal of the value in our machines is embedded in the community.

PM sent.

Ben Kaufman
Old 09-11-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Tire size

Hey guys

Wondering, what's the actual diff? Every time I land, I smell rubber burning. Took mine down and found the tire was rubbing. Tried to cut away the edge but can't cut the actual pant portion in the area rubbing. Installed new tires, still does it. Would this size help?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalle View Post
Hey guys

Wondering, what's the actual diff? Every time I land, I smell rubber burning. Took mine down and found the tire was rubbing. Tried to cut away the edge but can't cut the actual pant portion in the area rubbing. Installed new tires, still does it. Would this size help?
The 380/150-5 tires are bigger, so likely they would make your problem worse.

The 380/150-5 tires are about a half inch wider, and an inch bigger in diameter if I recall correctly (and I may well not!) I had to open up the opening in my wheel pants pretty significantly when I switched from the standard 500-5.
You should be able to get your thumb in between the tire and the wheel pant edge all the way around with the airplane weight on the tire. If you can't, please fix that before something worse than the smell of rubber burning happens.

We like the larger tire for operations on dirt and grass. For paved runways, the standard tires are perfectly fine. As I mentioned in the first reply post, you have to position the wheel pant higher to allow room for the larger diameter. I found that this caused minor interference with the brake caliper, so I made a fiberglass fairing around the cutout that was required for brake clearance. It is a very modest little bulge. I still have the mold for those fairings, if anyone would like to have a couple of fairings, I can whip them out pretty quick. I would just charge a few bucks to cover the epoxy and glass material, and shipping.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 450 in 8 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
Old 09-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Default 380/150-5

I have a set of these too, 6 ply, ready for replacement on my plane. Does anyone know when Desser will have the retreads in again? Are they available anywhere else?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Wilkerson

Wilkerson quoted me $72/casing yesterday...
Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Tire size

Thanks Steve....