- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 06:19 AM

Default Regulator Failure on Van's Demo RV-12

I happened to notice the voltage regulator being replaced on Van's demo RV-12 at the Mt. Vernon Illinois Light Sport Expo yesterday. It must be nice to be able to get a overnight shipped replacement unit with a phone call to your Oregon support team. By the way, it was mounted in the recently suggested location under the Avionics panel. Apparently this location is still not a satisfactory fix. My guess is that the fix is more complicated than just moving the regulator. How are you guys doing who have replaced your original Ducati with the Silent Hektik design? Too bad they are so hard to get, and the cost is so high; nearly $300 shipped from a motorcycle dealer in England.

Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Default New

Do you know if the replacement is the Ducati regulator?

I know rotax has moved away from that regulator with the is sport.

Leo
Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKenner View Post
Do you know if the replacement is the Ducati regulator?

I know rotax has moved away from that regulator with the is sport.

Leo
Yes it was the same Ducati that we have been using. So, what is Rotax using now?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:55 AM

I installed Sikent Hektik in the original location, but with an aluminium plate as a heat screen between the close exhaust pipe. 30 minutes job.
I have blown three Ducatis in 650 hours.
SH has a charge voltage of 14.1 volts so I have moved the alarm limit to 14.2 in the Dynon.
SH advises to install a separate awg16 ground from the case to battery minus.
Whilst the Ducatis get extremely hot the SH is not even warm.
Feels so much better.
We pay $ 220 incl shipping but we are next door

PH-SEP and PH-SES

RV12 #120519 and #120790
Hobbs 600+ hours and 250+ hours
Dual SV1000 Skyview 15, Pocket FMS and Powerflarm 6.0 (ADSB)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Rotax regulator

I don't have a part number or manufacturer but this is what I got from the Canadian Rotax dealer when I inquired about the regulator(s) on the IS Sport:
"They are a German made regulator, not Ducati. They do need cooling air; more so on the 30 amp, but the RV12 has good airflow in the cowl so it should not be a problem."

I should also mention that the sport comes standard with a 16 and 30 amp alternator, each have their own regulators.

Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by todehnal View Post
Yes it was the same Ducati that we have been using. So, what is Rotax using now?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 AM

We have two RV12s and at a total of about 1000 hours I have a box of 5 blown regulators.
We load about 15 to 16 Amps with two Sv1000 units and all other stuff.
The ducatis run at 175 deg F at this load which is close to the limit.
We monitor the temp by a sensor.
This working temperature degrades the lifetime as we found.

The SH can handle 47 Amps and has more efficient switching thus less losses and heat generation. We measured about 120 deg F.
We only have a short track record but at this temperature I have faith.

I am surprised Rotax is not offering an alternative at so many failures in so many years.

PH-SEP and PH-SES

RV12 #120519 and #120790
Hobbs 600+ hours and 250+ hours
Dual SV1000 Skyview 15, Pocket FMS and Powerflarm 6.0 (ADSB)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todehnal View Post
I happened to notice the voltage regulator being replaced on Van's demo RV-12 at the Mt. Vernon Illinois Light Sport Expo yesterday. It must be nice to be able to get a overnight shipped replacement unit with a phone call to your Oregon support team.
Maybe nice, but that is not how he got a replacement. (see THIS post)

BTW, Van's has been flying RV-12's far from home base for about 10 years now and this is the first time that I can remember there being an electrical / voltage regulator problem that had to be repaired away from home.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Gents, it was Friday and ANY other RV builder/pilot could have had any part overnighted to them. Personally, I think the support from the RV comunity and the Factory is superb, and it has been witnessed many times before on this forum. I was so happy to be a recipient of both this week as there were potential customers that I did not want to let down due to a grounded aircraft.

I know there have been regulator failures out there. I've seen them on other airplanes besides the RV12 as well. This particular RV-12 has over 450 hours on it and it is the first failure as far as I can tell. Quite honestly, demo aircraft are really hard on batteries and electrical components such as regulators, as there are a lot of start-ups, taxiing, and short flights which really max out the regulator and don't exactly allow time for the battery to accept a full charge. Especially at these expos, with a busy traffic pattern, the taxi and hold time is usually at such low rpm's that the battery is sitting there discharging while it is carrying the electrical load.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Maybe nice, but that is not how he got a replacement. (see THIS post)

BTW, Van's has been flying RV-12's far from home base for about 10 years now and this is the first time that I can remember there being an electrical / voltage regulator problem that had to be repaired away from home.
Thanks Scott and Vic. Things were a bit hectic at the expo while Vic was making the regulator swap. Here was a guy feverishly working to get his RV-12 ready to fly so he could beat Hurricane Irma back to Georgia, and safely put away, and I really felt bad for him. Vic mentioned that he received the regulator overnight, and i presumed that it was from you folks in Oregon. My bad! You guys are right, there is nothing better than the support that comes from everyone associated with the Van's aircraft family, and I say that with personal experience. I guess the frustrations level rises when you see all of these Ducati regulator failures. No one can honestly say that this is not a weak point that needs attention. Hoping for a permanent fix some day. ........Tom
Old 09-11-2017, 03:12 PM

As far as I know, the tractor regulator I put in my -12 is still going strong in the Texas heat 300 hours later.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold