VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Open the cross wind envelope slowly, Mike.

Don't make decision based on what others have done. See what you feel comfortable with.

Everyone one of us has limitations, we need find what they are.

Certainly don't want to take on 25 knots just because someone else survived it.

FWITW never do it with any tail wind...that's like an 11th commandment.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!

Last edited by David-aviator : 09-08-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
I am one of those crazy people that actually like doing crosswinds and I'll occasionally go search them out to play in them. The highest I've gotten was 24 knots cross component in my 9A, and that was getting a little sketchy. 15 knots is no big deal with the big rudder on the 9A, 20 starts to get a little sporty.
So there are people like me! It's a badge of honor making a sweet crosswind landing riding down the runway on one wheel as long as you can hold it. I believe tailwheel (RV) is easier really, with a steerable steering wheel in addition to brakes and rudder. 20-25 kts steady cross is pushing the comfort limits.

Houston
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Open the cross wind envelope slowly, Mike.

Don't make decision based on what others have done. See what you feel comfortable with.

Everyone one of us has limitations, we need find what they are.

Certainly don't want to take on 25 knots just because someone else survived it.

FWITW never do it with any tail wind...that's like an 11th commandment.
Sound advice.
You can practice cross wind landings even without a crosswind.
Pick a side and learn to land on the "upwind" wheel. Switch sides so you don't get "handed". Try it both three point and wheelies.
The machine is limited by its rudder authority. The pilot is limited by his skill. You can only effect one of those.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:30 AM

With my commuting requirements, I am presented with undesirable wind on a frequent basis. The experience has made me a much better crosswind pilot. With that, an AWOS of 18G24 is a non issue. Did that last Friday though the remains of Harvey. IFR from take off until landing base leg to break into the clear blue. (No approach to log )

While I do not exactly remember the AWOS in one instance (it was something like 22G30 but don't hold me to that) I do remember very well that I was using full rudder on that landing. The wind was from the right so I was banked to the right and had the left rudder booted has hard as I could manage. With that steep bank and left leg force, I was sliding out of my seat (belted 5 point) into the passenger seat. Of course, there was a commuter jet on the taxiway watching.

I have come to prefer the slip rather than crab/kick.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 PM

I am not sure what the actual numbers are I landed at certainly north of 20kts.

As others have stated what AWOS etc. reports and what is actually real at the instance of touch down are often quite different things in particular if you have gusts but my conventional gear instructor gave me a simple rule of thump that works well.

If on short final you can keep your airplane lined up with the runway with rudder then land. If not then don't and find an airport at which you can.

Has worked so far and is much more accurate then any instrument I have ever had... .

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 09-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Default Steady Crosswind

For me, a steady crosswind with a full windsock is not that bad in an RV due to excellent control authority. What bites is the gusting ever-changing direction winds especially when it's a direct crosswind one moment and the next it's a quartering tail wind.

Once On takeoff in my -3, I got a full windsock gust quartering tailwind right after I pushed the throttle to firewall. Gust plus p-factor = trouble in certified plane. On that day, I was glad that the runway was 150ft wide and the performance of the -3 was, well, spectacular.

In my book, the best plane for winds is an RV. But hey, I'm slightly biased.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Built & Flying
Twin Comanche Flying
RV-10 Thinking about it...
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Video of a fairly strong cross wind landing in rv4

https://youtu.be/IzumJUl6POc

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:52 AM

32 knot direct crosswind in my -9 taildragger.

It was a 150 foot wide runway, I touched down on the centerline, and got it stopped before going off the left side. The -9 was skipping on the upwind wheel and after I got the tail down, the thing kept trying to weather vain into the wind.

The tower was stunned, as was I.

RV's are the easiest taildraggers to fly. Don't let the fear of crosswind landings keep you from building the plane you want.

As for technique, I use full flaps, regardless of the wind, and wheel it on one wheel at a time; upwind wheel, downwind wheel, and finally tailwheel. The -9 may be a bit of a challenge compared to your -6 due to its long high lift wing but the larger rudder probably gives you more control.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 09-12-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
32 knot direct crosswind in my -9 taildragger.

It was a 150 foot wide runway, I touched down on the centerline, and got it stopped before going off the left side. The -9 was skipping on the upwind wheel and after I got the tail down, the thing kept trying to weather vain into the wind.

The tower was stunned, as was I.

RV's are the easiest taildraggers to fly. Don't let the fear of crosswind landings keep you from building the plane you want.

As for technique, I use full flaps, regardless of the wind, and wheel it on one wheel at a time; upwind wheel, downwind wheel, and finally tailwheel. The -9 may be a bit of a challenge compared to your -6 due to its long high lift wing but the larger rudder probably gives you more control.
Bill - you have a -9, 150' wide runway, 30 kt wind... Just land across the runway!!

Houston
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Kind of curious what is the max X-Wind landings you've made. Questioning angle on the nose as well as highest wind speed?
It really depends on how you define "landing".

I returned to home base one day with wind 19G26 directly across the runway after tumbling over a college campus and airport hangars. I was able to taxi the plane back to the hangar under its own power but I would consider the end of the flight to be an "arrival" rather than a landing due to the interesting angles and noises associated with the event. As to whether it was a wheelie or three point the answer is "yes".

15K straight across requires the rudder to be fully deflected on my RV-6 if the nose is to be aligned with the dotted line.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 09-12-2017 at 08:02 AM.