VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-03-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Crosswind Landings

Kind of curious what is the max X-Wind landings you've made. Questioning angle on the nose as well as highest wind speed?

Be interesting to see nose dragger vs., tail dragger....

Also for the TW if it was a wheel landing or 3-pointer...

I bought a flying RV-6, just learning to fly it (58-hours since Mar 2017), and have avoided most x-winds so far, in other words 30 deg from the right at 11kts for me. This was a 3-pointer of sorts....Wing low, rudder to maintain centerline, no flaps.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited by mbauer : 09-03-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 09-03-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Crosswind Landings

Hi Mike,

The most wind I've landed in with my RV-4 was 15G20KT, 90 deg to the runway. I used a wheel landing. Normally I like to keep it to 10KT or so of direct x-wind.

It was pretty sporty, but the airplane was reusable and thus the landing was a total success.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:30 PM

I landed my -6A ONCE with a 15 knot direct crosswind. I consider that my max and do not want to do it again. Nothing broke, nothing bent, just more of a handful than I want.
flying
Old 09-03-2017, 01:44 PM

The AWOS said direct 17 G 24 one day. I said I'd give it one shot and try an alternate. I think I found a brief lull between gusts and got it on the ground safely in a 3 point landing without scaring myself.

I don't believe I'm capable of 17 G 24 in the RV-6. Fifteen steady is probably more like it.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 PM

My highest is in a Diamond DA42, 22 knots on the side. A piece of cake in that aircraft, easier than doing 12knots in a C172
RV-14 kit #140138
working on the fuselage kit
wings done, tail kit almost done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 09-03-2017, 01:56 PM

I think it's very hard to get accurate numbers on this, because what the AWOS reports and what you land in may be very different. I have landed my 9A when the AWOS was reporting x-wind of 18G22, however I went around twice, and when I did put it down, I believe it was probably in a lull and more like 14-15. Also, the wind 50' above the runway is often a good bit more than on the surface - I have been on approaches where the EFIS indicated 20 knot crosswind on final, prepared to go around, but once I crossed the threshold, it seemed much, much less.

The huge rudder on the 9/9A helps a lot in a crosswind.

Chris
Old 09-03-2017, 02:10 PM

When I was getting checked out for my tail wheel endorsement, the winds were 060 at 15 gusting to 25. I did 11 taxi back 3 pointers. This was in my RV6. Every approach was spot on, every touchdown scared the bejesus out of me. My instructor didn't make the slightest move to take the stick. I never saw anyone that brave. For 2 days I thought I bought the wrong airplane. I was scared to death of the plane. My instructor told me that I did everything needed to keep the plane under control. I took the plane up a couple of days later in calm winds and had my confidence restored. I put over 800 hours on my first RV, loving every minute. My advice-don't think you have complete control until you have completed 100 successful landings. After that, be just as careful and alert as if it was your first. Fly safe.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 AM

Default It was ugly..

I landed my -4 when ATIS was indicating 18 G 24 direct Xwind at KINT, and fortunately the runway is very wide! I chose a 3 point, and it worked OK, but I had some thrilling moments. Real kicker is I could have chosen runway that was perfectly into wind, however we were "2 Ship" with a friend in his P-51, and he wanted the longer runway..both of us regretted the choice after landing!
8A7 / Advance NC
Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 AM

I am one of those crazy people that actually like doing crosswinds and I'll occasionally go search them out to play in them. The highest I've gotten was 24 knots cross component in my 9A, and that was getting a little sketchy. 15 knots is no big deal with the big rudder on the 9A, 20 starts to get a little sporty.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:28 AM

coming home from a long cross country I did something like 23G33 at about 70 degrees according to AWOS, but I don't think it was that bad at touchdown. It was super gusty and bumpy down final with large power changes to stay on glideslope, with my nervous mother in the passenger seat mind you. Just when I was about to say screw it and go to the airport 20 miles away with a crosswind runway, The wind and bumps steadied out about 50 AGL and I was able to do a surprisingly smooth wheel landing.

For me it's mostly about the gust factor, I'd personally rather land in 25 knots of crosswind than 15G25.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log

Last edited by odens_14 : 09-08-2017 at 08:31 AM.