VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Default Day Two (cont.)

When I got back to Independence Airport, I walked up to the gas pump where I had met the Reid family. There was music playing under the overhang, and I also noticed that a few courtesy bicycles were racked nearby.

At the Reid household, Marici showed me into the guest room which was nested above the hangar portion of their home. There were many, many wonderful aviation artifacts to be seen, including those from Amelia Reidís life of flight. The sense of being in a hallowed museum while being served so graciously by my hosts was both humbling and awe-inspiring.

After showering and preparing for bed, I took a small walking tour of my museum-sleeping quarters. I felt myself surrounded by the lasting remnants of a passion incomparable for flight and adventure, and the twinkling visages of achievement and fame remained airborne in my brain long after I turned off the lights and went to sleep.

I was a transient in a pilotís heaven. And it sure felt good to sleep in a bed.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 PM

Scooter

Press on

Boomer

RV 7A--"MISS MARIE"--- N177WD (SOLD FLYING)72742
VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

2006-2017 DUES PAID
Old 08-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Day Three

I woke up after a restful sleep and saw all the airplanes dangling above me on the ceiling. It was Sunday, and the night before, Marici had told me that she and Robin were departing early that day to attend a fly-in event up at McMinnville (MMV) where they were going to give rides in their glider. I got up and walked outside on the balcony and looked toward the runway. It looked like a perfect day for flying.

I got dressed quickly and went downstairs where I found Robin sitting in the kitchen. He invited me to sit down with him for coffee and breakfast. He was eating bacon and reading an historic aviation magazine article about the making of the Civil Air Patrol. Marici came in and made me up some sourdough toast with jam and a cup of coffee.

It was not long after when I walked with Marici to the airport tarmac where Robin, Scooter, and Jonathan were prepping the towplane and glider for departure to McMinnville.

I thanked them profusely for their gracious hospitality and warmth as the two pilots got ready to strap in. Soon, the Piper Pawnee throttled up, the towline strained cable-like between the two aircraft, and then I saw my two friends fly off to the north in the dazzling blue skies of a Sunday morning.

After wiping down the Dove and giving her a preflight, I walked back to the house to prepare for church. I had not really planned on going. I just felt suddenly called to go, so I went.

Marici’s beehives, just outside the hangar door on the front yard, were swirling with activity as I entered the house.

After dressing in jeans and a more presentable shirt, I walked back over to the tarmac. I took one of the courtesy bikes that were racked next to the fuel pump. I squirted a healthy dose of WD-40 on the chain and sprockets because they were all bright orange with rust. The bike worked fine, nevertheless. Faith Lutheran Church was only a few miles down the road in Monmouth, and I made it in by 9:30 AM when the service was about to begin.

That day, there was a baptism for a baby named Lincoln, and Pastor Dallas---the same name of the hamlet I descended over the day before---preached a great sermon on the text from Jeremiah 28: 5-9. After the service, I had refreshments with the congregation and prayed individually with Dallas for guidance and safety before getting onto the bike and pedalling back to the airport.

After changing back into my flying clothes, I bade farewell to Scooter and Jonathan and thanked them again for their help. I wished them the best in their solo flights, and they both sounded very excited to reach that milestone. They wished me the best on my journey.

Soon, I was airborne again.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Day Three (cont.)

I watched a majestic chain in the Ring of Fire glide past my port side wing: Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier. I wondered how long it would be before their tops would come off.

I flew a simple direct path for Cascade, ID (U70), and landed there after only a couple of hours. I found the parking area to be in really bad shape, with ruts in the asphalt and deep pits to watch out for.

When I walked into the FBO at Arnold Aviation, I had a short conversation there with one of the mechanics on duty, and I quickly discovered that there wasn’t much to hope for at the airport as far as having a place to stay for the night, at least for somebody like me.

So, after stretching a bit, I launched toward McCall, ID (MYL), only 24 miles north, where I thought I might explore more of the beauty offered in that part of the country. Down below, I saw many people out on boats and enjoying the great weather during the July 4th weekend.

In no time, I was on the ground at McCall and taxiing on the tarmac in search of a place to tie down for the night. There was more than enough room to park, so I chose a spot right in front of the FBO.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:05 PM

It was already after 5 PM by the time I wiped down the Dove and went over to check out the FBO. Again, there was no after-hours access to the pilot’s lounge or rest rooms, but the young lady working behind the counter at McCall Aviation told me about a great pizza place across the street that I should check out. I made a mental note of it, then walked out to explore the airport.

I saw a lone soul watering plants outside of a large, red, barn-like hangar with the word, Pioneer, stenciled on the roof. I walked over there and started talking with him.

His name was Gary, a pilot for the company, McCall Mountain Canyon Flying Seminars. When I asked Gary about the hangar, he told me that it was built in the 1920’s, that it once served as the original training site for the first Smoke Jumpers. The building itself was now condemned after last year’s snowfall, the weight of which snapped two trusses in the building and threatened its collapse. He showed me what the inside looked like.

The original 1920’s woodwork remained throughout the interior, and the wallpaper pattern was an old 1920’s representation of the original Lewis and Clark expedition paintings.

Gary and his fellow pilots were sleeping in a 5th wheel trailer parked behind the hangar until the company decided to either completely raze the building and start anew or restore the hangar for posterity. Meanwhile, the Husky planes he and his partners were using to train bush pilots were taxiing in and parking in another hangar far across the other side of the tarmac.

Gary asked me where I was headed. When I told him that I was flying through America for 40 days, he said I could sleep on the grass in front of the barn-hangar. “Lots of guys do,” he said. I thanked him. Then, like the young lady in the FBO, he said I should go try out the pizza place across the street. My belly was barking again. I figured I might as well give the place a try.

On the way, I found a shed intended solely for transient pilots who wanted bicycle transportation in McCall. I wondered what kind of bikes they had in there. I thought I would come back after dinner and take one of them out for a spin.

I went into Hometown Pizza and started looking at the menu. There was a line inside, and nearly all the tables were full.

There was only one seat left vacant in a far corner of the room, so I sat down and looked at the menu. After about 20 minutes, I got back in line. A young woman and her three boys were standing there by the door. She asked me if I needed to order. I urged her to go ahead of me, but she told me she was waiting for her husband to show up. She asked me if I was a fireman, and I told her that, no, I was not. I gathered that she and her husband were locals, and that they came to that pizza place a lot. We talked about the cold weather in McCall, and when she asked what I was doing there, I told her about the 40-day flying mission I was on. That was about when her husband showed up and came through the door. I ordered a taco salad, then went back to sit down at the vacant seat in the corner.

After the family ordered their pizza, they went into the larger dining area where they apparently already had a table reserved. I got up to fill my water bottle, and just as I sat back down, the woman approached me and asked if I would like to join her family for dinner in the other room. I said that, yes, I would enjoy that. So I did.

I ate dinner that night with Jennifer, her husband Jerry, and their three boys, oldest to youngest, Jayger, Jace, and Jayton. After telling them about my flying mission across America, I learned that Jerry was the Director of Maintenance at the McCall Airport. He told me that there was a restroom and shower facility that I could use by the same hangar where the Huskies had parked earlier.

The J’s told me that, after dinner, they were selling fireworks at a stand around the corner to raise money for the boys’ hockey club. They shared with me their great enthusiasm for guns, for hunting, for motorcycling, and for living in the great outdoors of the American Northwest.

I thanked the J’s for their company and told them I would ride by to see their fireworks booth before nightfall. Then I left and went back across the street to the airport to get a bike out of the shed. It was time to explore the City of McCall, Idaho.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-16-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:06 PM

That Sunday evening in McCall, I could feel the anticipation of the coming 4th of July celebrations vibrating all around me. I took the best mountain bike I could find in the shed, and I rode into a town that welcomed me with open arms. The J’s all saw me riding by their fireworks stand and gave me a few cheers of encouragement.

As the sun began to set, people started docking their boats and pulling others out of the lake.

Some people enjoyed the sunset from various vantage points around the shoreline.

The J’s had told me not to forget targeting a place called Ice Cream Alley in downtown McCall. I parked my bike and waited in a line where I and other ice cream lovers eagerly and happily waited our turns to order. It was probably one of the most popular places to visit in McCall, and I could see why. The portions were enormous.

When nightfall came, I rode back to town and stopped by the fireworks stand for a brief conversation with Jennifer and the boys. Then it was time to put the bike back in the shed and find a place to sleep. There was a vacant office in the hangar where the Huskies were parked, and after I cleaned up and brushed my teeth, I inflated my mattress, unrolled my sleeping bag, and lay down.

I was a little concerned about somebody else driving up or walking into the hangar with the doors wide open like they were, so I slept very much on edge the entire night.

It was, nevertheless, sleep. Even if it came in spurts, I took sleep for everything it was worth.

Last edited by Scott Chastain : 08-16-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 PM

Default Squished

Scott, I saw that somebody ask about the format you were using for your pictures and I see that you changed it.
Now they are squished too narrow. They were perfect before :-(
Is that what everyone else is seeing?

>>Problem Fixed, thanks!
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2016 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription

Last edited by bhester : 08-17-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Problem corrected
Old 08-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhester View Post
Scott, I saw that somebody ask about the format you were using for your pictures and I see that you changed it.
Now they are squished too narrow. They were perfect before :-(
They started showing up squished at post 23. Perfect before that. At least on my end.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhester View Post
Yep, they're a bit squished. Another problem; now I want to move to McCall, Idaho!! Looks just a wee bit purtier than SE Texas...
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2016
Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 AM

Scott, I'm loving the detailed narrative and quantity of pics. Thanks for taking the time to post about your adventure for those of us following along through our monitors. Inspiring stuff.

Side note: pics look fine to me. They aspect ratio is wider than the average 4:3 picture, but I imagine that is intentional.
RV-8 (sold)
Xtreme Decathlon (borrowing)