VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Does it have a built-in backup battery? I didn't see that listed anywhere...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM

No, it does not.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Walt, I played with one of these in my hand for about 30 minutes at Osh and I have to say that I was impressed. The AHRS in this thing is amazing. I could not tumble it no matter how hard I tried.

The unit is very light weight and small behind the panel. Not real fond of the connectors and air data fittings. The unit feels sort of cheap in your hand but heck it is a $1200 full fledged EFIS with a GPS!
Thanks Brian, I am very tempted to give this a try... maybe GRT can give us an update on their unit, I would prefer to support them with my RV bucks.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM

My take on this is that it appears to be a neat little box...on the bench / on the ground. The reality is that AvMap has not been in the business of making EFIS system, there isn't any track record of it over any period of time...so any comments on it's robustness and reliability are dubious at best.

It certainly may end up being a fantastic little box that becomes very popular. I'll withhold any opinion (plus or minus) on it until we see some real world examples with at least some minimal history behind them. Also, it'll be interesting to see how the customer service, repair, maintenance, etc.. stack up against the known quantities we currently deal with (GRT, AFS, Dynon, PSE, etc..) in that area specifically.

Hopefully at some point I'll play with one in the air (not just on the ground) and be able to give some reasonable feedback. I suppose a youtube video would give some details, but I sort discount any ground based reviews on something like an EFIS without some additional data-points from real world flights. Who knows - this could be a home run....or a bunt.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Spot on as normal Stein!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Wink

OK, so here is a little background/info on the Ultra. I am a beta tester for the AvMap aviation products and have an Ultra sitting on my bench at the hangar.

First, I have been telling the factory people that the form factor they chose could/would have a significant negative impact on the sales of this device. I have also sent them the link to this thread so they can judge for themselves. At present they are sitting on ~500 cases in the current configuration, so it is doubtful that there will be size change anytime soon unless there is enough feedback to shift their thinking.

I think that the unit has great promise and could make for a very simple panel for the those wanting to go light or it could serve as a backup system for those with more panel space. The GPS derived distance/direction to airports, VORs, other way-points will be very useful especially as an emergency backup for your normal navigation units.

I have not mounted the unit yet since I was waiting to see if there was going to be change in the size to fit our standard 3.125" instruments. By the way, I am told that these units are drop in compatible for the Yaks. So if you have any Yak buddies this would be a great upgrade for them. There is also some talk about furnishing a small sub-panel with the Ultra so that if in the future you decide to replace it with a standard instrument, the panel will cover the larger hole and have the 3.125" hole/screw holes already drilled.

I will probable be mounting the unit over the Thanksgiving week so might be able to post some video shortly thereafter if anyone is interested.
If there is anything in particular you would like me to test let me know, but I do plan to do some extensive testing as part of the Beta Testing program. The Ultra will be mounted directly below my Dynon 100 so it should be easy to make comparisons between them.

Bill
Ramona, CA (KRNM)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM

I was intrigued by the comments about the graphics being butt ugly so I contacted AvMap tech support. I've suggested they post some current pictures and/or a video so we could at least see what the screen presentation looks like in production units, rather than having to sort through the chaff represented by several different variations of marketing literature. I also made them aware of this discussion thread as well as the critical comments on graphics.

The response I have received so far is that they are working on a video, so that's in the plan. This additional information provided by AvMap support gives some insight into why different versions of the screen graphics may have been floating around.
"From the time it was presented to the present, there have been many enhancements on it – one being a whole new LCD in the unit."

Bill - I think there are a lot of us looking forward to any info you might be able to provide, both on your installation experience as well as flight testing.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Also needs to be able to configure the airspeed to display in statute MPH as well as Knots.

There's still plenty of us out here who prefer to use MPH for our airspeed indicators... and yes even in RVs... and yes, even in RVs with glass panel EFIS as the primary flight instrumentation.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Smile AvMap Ultra Video

OK Guys,

Managed to get the Ultra mounted in the aircraft over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Removed a turn coordinator and had to enlarge the mounting hole slightly. Took it up for a compass calibration flight this past Sunday. Posted a composite video on YouTube if anyone is interested.
http://youtu.be/3KlmEdm9cb8
One thing I noticed was that the glare off of the steam gauges was much more pronounce than off of the Ultra. Still need time to play with the HSI functions before I can evaluate but the PFD function seemed to work very well. Both the altitude and airspeed indications seemed to follow the round gauges quite closely.

Bill
Ramona, CA (KRNM)
Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks for posting that video, Bill. Seems like the display had plenty of brightness and was quite legible. It also looks like the user interface is pretty easy to sort out.

(I was a little thrown off by the video - it took me a few seconds to realize I wasn't on a boat! )

Thanks again for taking the time to post the video!