VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Rv-10/Fuselage before wings anybody?

Has anybody order the fuselage before the wings. I know parts of the wing kit have to be ordered with it (+1400). Just figure the fuselage will take more time and thought and I can spend more time on it as well as have the wings to work at the same time.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrescottB787 View Post
Has anybody order the fuselage before the wings. I know parts of the wing kit have to be ordered with it (+1400). Just figure the fuselage will take more time and thought and I can spend more time on it as well as have the wings to work at the same time.

Thanks
My opinion (haven't started the fuselage yet) is that you want to get the wings out of the way first. If you think you'll work them in parallel, it might not happen. The wings involve a lot of "grunt" work like deburring, which just takes a lot of time and dedication to repetitive tasks.

I have the light at the end of the tunnel on the wings, and while it has certainly been educational, it is quite repetitive. I'm looking forward to the fuselage, which seems more interesting to me.

Not that the wings are boring, it's just a lot of repetition (see a theme here?)

But maybe having the fuselage to work on simultaneously would offer a reprieve, however, I think it could turn into an escape and result in the wings being finished in more time than necessary.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 PM

That's why I was thinking about getting the fuselage e first. The monotony of the wings. Break it up and do a little electrical work for a break. Just seems like a lot more thought has to go into the fuselage.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrescottB787 View Post
That's why I was thinking about getting the fuselage e first. The monotony of the wings. Break it up and do a little electrical work for a break. Just seems like a lot more thought has to go into the fuselage.
There's nothing wrong with doing the wings after the fuselage. However, you'll be better off holding off on any wiring until the last minute. Today's wiring plan goes out the window as soon as tomorrow's avionics and auxiliaries are announced.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:29 AM

Default Fuselage first

I did the fuselage before the wings. My reasoning was similar to yours. Plus why have a 10K part as a wall decoration for two years while I worked on the fuselage systems (wiring, trim, overhead etc.)

So here I am with the fuselage mostly done, and a plan to do the wings this winter. No regrets.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017
Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM

I started SB fuse before my QB wings arrived. Vans changed what came with fuse kit due to that order. Some parts comes with wings if you do them first. But, if you do fuse first they will ship it with fuse kit since it's needed during that section. Just tell them when you order. I'm building fuse now. Finding it quite enjoyable so far. But, not to section 29 yet. 😀
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Fuse 10% done, QB Wings delivered and stored for now.
Dues Paid 2017
Old 09-14-2017, 06:17 PM

You can easily complete the fuselage, finish kit, install the engine and then complete the wings as the last thing. The completed wings just sit around waiting to move the plane to the airport and then they get connected to the fuselage. I like the idea a lot.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Did anyone order from Vans the option for the fuselage kit. Such as the static air kit and/or flap position system. If so where you happy with it or any suggestion?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 PM

I purchased both.

I had the flap position sensor installed and then found out the VPX Pro (which I also had installed) would not work with the Vans sensor. So I removed it and have it available if anyone wants it (you pay postage).

The static kit is installed, except I machined my own sidewall ports. I wasn't keen on using rivets. I'll see haw well they work once I am flying.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017