VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Default Flap Motor and Actuator Issues

I'm a first time builder who is finishing a RV7 QB kit that was originally purchased from Van's back in 2001. During the flap motor/actuator install today, I checked out the flap motor and could not get it to extend/retract with 12v power. It spins, but doesn't extend. Searching the forum I saw where too much grease could cause this so I took it apart and cleaned it. No improvement. I noticed that when I turn the actuator rod by hand putting some pressure on the actuator it does extend/retract. So I mounted the actuator to my bench in the vertical position, zip tied a couple of pounds of weight to the end of the actuator, and sure enough with that weight it does extend and retract. Is this normal? Seems like it should extend/retract even when no-load, otherwise it would only work when there was aerodynamic load on flaps. Do I need a new motor or actuator?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Perfectly Normal

Normally, the extension end is kept from rotating because the rod end is attached to the flap weldment. If it isn't (like on the bench), there is enough drag between the threads to just make the whole thing rotate.

Sound like your unit is just fine.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
261 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)