- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 AM
paul mosher

Default read

Read post #12. Says no battery.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Ultra Status Update

Thought I would update everyone on my current observations of the Ultra. First I should state up front that I have been a beta tester for AvMap aviation products for several years, so I have had the chance to test many versions of their software and hardware.
As of Software version 5.14 all of the previously listed issues seem to have been resolved. I have been flying with this version for some time now and can say that it appears to be very stable. Magnetic calibration is now within a few degrees of what I see on my Dynon D-100, so I'm happy with that. CDI and wind vector issues have been corrected. On a recent trip from San Diego to Sacramento and back, I used it as a cross check for my primary navigation GPS & flight instruments and it was right on. In general, I think that with the latest software, the Ultra is doing what it was designed to do.

Of course, YMMV
Bill
Ramona, CA (KRNM)
Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Thanks Bill and everyone for the reports.

Can anyone tell me whether the Ultra provides an altitude output on one of its RS232 ports? The installation manual says it does so when connected to a Micro Air T2000 transponder, but I don't have one of those. I'd like to use it to feed altitude to my SL70R, via a custom microcontroller protocol converter if necessary...
Old 12-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Henry, welcome to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Henry,
I suggest that you contact the factory and ask them what information and format is available on the serial ports. Or perhaps look to see if you can find any information on the Micro Air unit's serial comm port. Sorry but I have not tried connecting the Ultra to any other equipment so I have no personal experience to share.
Ramona, CA (KRNM)
Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 PM

OK, thanks Bill. I emailed the manufacturer a couple of days ago but haven't heard back yet. I'll post when I find something out.

Thanks for the welcome Mike

Henry
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit View Post
Turns out the diameter of the round part is just larger than the standard, 3 1/8" and the hole pattern for screws is different as well. So this is not a simple replacement of an AI upgrade.
Just FYI.
Still might be a good EFIS for a fresh design.
Update:
Looking at AvMap website, there seems to have been a design revision.
The new model (while it seems to be identical feature-wise) is now physically a fit for a standard 3" hole in the panel, including the hole pattern for the screws.
Much better.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Any updates about people using this unit? Any better units out there?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Garmin G5 vs. AVMAP Ultra?

I just bought the G5 and literally after I got home I saw the AVMAP, which looks like it's got more functions, an external GPS antenna, lower cost. Can someone comment on how they like theirs, esp. with the new version? Any negatives compared to the G5 aside from "ugly" graphics and lack of back-up battery?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM

After checking out the Avmap at Oshkosh, I bought and installed it. Flew a 1700 mile round trip last weekend in it... works well. I mean to do a full write up in the future, but in the mean time, I am very happy with it!