What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice flying a RV3

Go Guy

One of my hanger mates has ask if I would test fly his RV3a. Its a 20 year project finally ready to fly. The builders health prevents him from doing the test flying. I fly a RV8 and would like some advice from anyone that flys RV3 on what I should expect. Thx

Rod Estep
RV8 BPE IO-360, C/S

It will be much more sensitive than your -8, but is a very straightforward and honest airplane. Wheel landings or three pointers are fine. I don't be there with flaps on takeoff, because it gets off so quickly and accelerates through flap speed real fast. Full flaps for landing.

Beware - you're -8 will feel very sluggish when you go back!

Paul

RV3

Thanks Paul for the heads-up. I've done a few taxi runs and yes it wants to fly very quickly. Thanks again

Rod

You should be fine if it's built per plans. Since your experience has been RV-8 you might be surprised at the different feel of the tapered rod landing gear on the RV-3 during taxi. You could experience some shimmy on roll-out or taxi. Not a problem, just change your speed, RPM or both. If the wheels are nicely balanced it shouldn't be a problem but in my RV3 if I taxi on certain concrete taxiways with expansion joints the gear can start galloping. I learned to increase RPM and applying a bit of brake helps. More than likely I need to balance my tires.

UPDATE: A set of new Goodyear Flight Custom III tires and Michelin air stop inner tubes has effectively eliminated my gear shimmy, even over concrete expansion joints

After a bit of taxiing you should have a pretty good site picture from the pilot's seat. Also remember the aircraft stance is shorter than the RV-8 so when feeling for your tires to hit the runway you will feel like you are sinking more than you are accustomed to in the 8.

They are very honest airplanes and delightfully light on the controls.

Jim

Last edited:
It will be a couple of weeks before first flight. finishing some last minute cowling mods. I do appreciate all the input.

I thought flying my RV8 was like wearing a airplane, but after sitting in the 3 it seems like it is pure extinction of my body. Fits like a tight glove!

Rod

3 vs 8

My wife and I have both a 3 and an 8. The 3 is just all around lighter feeling. Lighter on the controls, quicker takeoff (both of ours are fixed pitch so may not be much different if your 8 is constant speed). Speeds are all about the same, approach, landing, etc. The red line airspeed is different though. Much poorer visibility on the ground with the tail down in our 3. Have a new full swivel tailwheel assembly that might change that some but it isn't on yet. Gear legs are significantly softer so wheel landings are easier in the 3, but wheel shimmy is definitely annoying. Got almost all of ours out, but it's a constant balancing struggle.

We love em both. The 3 is better for pure fun, the 8 is more of our F150 pickup that does it all really well and still maintains most of the characteristics from the 3. Enjoy noting the similarities and differences. It's fun swapping between the two.

Wheel landings are easier than 3 point, if tailwheel touches first you can get a big bounce. Attitude and speed has to be just right to 3 point. A little power in the flare helps. Not much need to say anything about speeds, every one has different AS errors built in. Balance helps the most with tire shimmering but hasn't eliminated it on mine. I've never flown an -8 so I can't compair them, the -3 is the best flying airplane I've ever flown, just can't carry much. Mine is a light 160 hp fixed pitch one.
Bill

Last edited:
I found 3 point landings to be a piece of cake, but each airplane is different. if you can fly an 8 you will have no trouble with the 3.
I flew downwind at 100mph, dumped all flaps at once, trimmed to 80mph, and kept it simple. This is how the owner flies it all the time, and it worked well on his airplane. The 3 slows down quickly and responds quickly to small adjustments in power.
My 6 is closer to feeling like a 3 than the 8 in responsiveness and stick pressure but you shouldn't have any issues with over controlling. I found the 3 to be very stable.
Have fun.

Sold mine and miss it already. 65-70 mph over the numbers
Hold it a foot off the runway and let it land when it wants to. If your
Fast, stick forward and wheel land it. 3 points have to be on the numbers
To not bounce. My 2 cents. If I build another RV, it will be a 3. Great airplane.

I also have both a 3 and 8. You wont have any trouble on the 3, other than giving it back to the owner. :confused::)

RV3

Mark, you got that right! My Bad.

Spent the day working on the 3, and going thru the systems.(not a lot to deal with) The one that concerns me the most is exiting the cockpit quickly if that should arise. It has a 2" subpanel below the dash that gets my knees everytime I get out. The builder is already working on a new shorter dash to install after it flys & before paint. I'm looking forward to flying it. Thx for all the input guys (and Gals) I will give updates after I log a flight.

RV3A with modified spar
O-320A 150hp, 79 pitch W/P
Vans simple grin machine

Rod

So its finally going to fly

Rod, I know there will be two big grins when she flies.
Fly safe
Figs

RV 3

One thing to note that I found it loses energy quicker that the other RV models that I have flown, very appropriate through the wind gradient into short strips.

It spoils you for other aircraft.

Rob
RV 3 G-BVDC

Rv-3

I had muffed up some short field landings with a steep approach.
Namely a mountain located in Maine with tall trees approach into a short grass strip with a river at the end of the runway. All I can say is I was very lucky the grass was not wet.

I reported back to my transition trainer of this near disaster. The best advise was to fly at altitude at full flaps at 60 mph. (Stalled at 52). I learned that at 2400 rpm I could fly without decent and a fair amount of right rudder for the p factor.
When you chop the power pitched at 60 mph the plane drops like a stone.

If I needed to come in steep approach and land short 60 -65 was the airspeed number adding a bit a power at touch down to arrest the decent. This speed was pitched nose high for a 3 pointer. Be sure to add some airspeed if gusty conditions. The downside to this approach is being able to see clearly the glide slope over the nose. 70mph was pitched at a better angle to see over the nose.

Need some tips on the little rocket

I have a -3 that has just completed a thorough inspection. A friend has flown her and said no problems. I have only flown a C-170A and took her out for three laps in the pattern.

All I can say is the gear held up better than I. Pretty bouncy affair. Any tips would be appreciated. The C-170 did allow me to see the center line.

Mark

I have a -3 that has just completed a thorough inspection. A friend has flown her and said no problems. I have only flown a C-170A and took her out for three laps in the pattern.

All I can say is the gear held up better than I. Pretty bouncy affair. Any tips would be appreciated. The C-170 did allow me to see the center line.

Mark

My first suggestion would be to get some transition training with someone in an RV-6. You need to get the feel of a sportier, smaller airplane than a 170. Single seaters do require that "solo first flight" at some point, but that doesn't mean you can't find a similar airplane that will caryan instructor to help you get the feel first.

Many people will try to teach you over the internet....but its pretty inefficient, and has lead to lots of bent airframes.....

Last edited:
My first RV was a 3... Ditto above, I'm building another one soon. One thing no one had mentioned that I read is wheel shimmy. -8 don't have it, the round legs do. Its worst at 30ish mph slowing down on landing. Wiggle the rudder a little can help stop it. It's not awful but your not used to it. Good luck fly safe

Mark
I like Paul's suggestion, but if you can't find an instructor....

Find the longest runway near you and fly the whole length (less the last 1000') at 10' 55-60mph. Do that three times then setup as before but don't put the power back in and try for a two point. That should do it.

Most pilots lack precision slow flight skills. The RV is perhaps the most precise slow flight machine I've flown.

Last edited:
Back