What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

inspection items questions

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to do my first major condition inspection. I have compiled checklists based on data from other sources. There are a few items on my checklist that I don't know how to do (i.e. I don't know where the relevant items are). Could anybody please point me to photos or references for any of the following?

1) Clean oil strainer (where is the oil strainer?)

2) Clean pressure oil strainer or change full flow oil filter element (I don't know where either of these things are)

3) Check breaker felt for proper lubrication (what is this?)

4) Check distributor block... (again, where is this?)

5) Drain carburetor and clean inline line fuel strainer (how do i drain the carb, and where is the inline fuel strainer?).

6) Clean screens in fuel pump (same question - where are the screens?)

Sorry for the naive questions, but thanks for any help!

Hi Phil,

Since these are all Firewall Forward items, it is not uncommon for a first-time builder (even one who installed their own engine) to be unfamiliar with them. Most all of them are "inside" the engine package itself, and it is unlikely that you had to deal with them in the build. However, most of them can lead to seriously bad consequences if performed improperly - things can be left off, or not properly tightened, filters can be positioned incorrectly. In short, I would strongly recommend that if you are not familiar with things on your engine, you find someone who is to go through it the first time, and then determine if you have it down well enough to do on your own. Learning these things from pictures can leave out those critical "tricks" that folks with experience know, but don't write down.

My opinion of course - but the only engine that keeps you in the air is not a place to learn it all by yourself.

Paul

I'm getting ready to do my first major condition inspection. I have compiled checklists based on data from other sources. There are a few items on my checklist that I don't know how to do (i.e. I don't know where the relevant items are). Could anybody please point me to photos or references for any of the following?

1) Clean oil strainer (where is the oil strainer?)

2) Clean pressure oil strainer or change full flow oil filter element (I don't know where either of these things are)

3) Check breaker felt for proper lubrication (what is this?)

4) Check distributor block... (again, where is this?)

5) Drain carburetor and clean inline line fuel strainer (how do i drain the carb, and where is the inline fuel strainer?).

6) Clean screens in fuel pump (same question - where are the screens?)

Sorry for the naive questions, but thanks for any help!

Phil,

Dittos to Paul's remarks. The tasks in your list are not difficult but they must be performed correctly. Get some help from someone with good engine knowledge and experience for your first condition inspection.

By the way, numbers 3 and 4 probably don't need to be done this time. Check a manual for your magnetos to determine proper inspection intervals. Number 6 won't apply if you have a carburetor.

Last edited:
Agreed, I will get somebody local to come out and help me with these items, but I'd still appreciate any references or pointers from anyone here ahead of time for familiarization purposes...

1) should be the coarse suction screen (safety wired plug facing aft located bottom rear center of oil sump). Should be safetied also.
2) You have either an oil filter or a pressure screen. Hint: the filter is a white can sticking out the back of your engine (kidding). If no filter installed then it has a fine screen in a housing that may have your oil temp probe screwed in also.
3&4) Internal magneto parts. If yours were new, don't worry until 500 hours (or a couple decades).
5) Marvel carbs have an inlet screen in the passage where your fuel inlet line attaches.
6) Interrupter pumps (think facet cylindrical or PA28 type) have screens & a magnet under a cap with a hex nut (also safetied).

Get an A&P to show you these and the proper procedure for disassembling/inspecting/reassembling. Technically, even a licensed A&P is not allowed to "perform" an operation he hasn't previously performed. I think that's in FAR part Catch 22.

For you first inspection Phil hire a local AME to do the work and watch him carefully. The next inspection you should be able to do yourself. This should get you a better understanding of your plane and build some confidence in doing the work yourself. There are a few guys out here that still hire an AME to do their inspections for them even if they have owned the plane for several years. We aren't all super confident in tackling the job.

If you're airplane is registered in Canada, you've most likely had to have put the mtce schedule entry in you're logbook when you had you're final inspection
I suspect you've stated you'll maintain it in accordance with CAR 625 Appendix B & C. You're checklist should be derived from the items listed.
FYI, its not a condition inspection in Canada.
Regards

Back