What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pulling Cherry Max rivets

scsmith

Well Known Member
A question for the brain trust:

For just a few rivets, one or two, I have been successful using a normal cheap pop rivet puller to pull Cherry Max rivets. But I know you are "supposed to" use their special puller.

My question is, is there something special or peculiar about the Cherry hand puller that does something different or better than a regular old pop rivet puller?

Or is it just a really well-made pop rivet puller that costs $100 instead of $15?

On other planes I've installed hundreds of Cherrymax with a cheap puller. Although with the larger rivets I squint a little waiting for the gun to break.

I'll go a step further. I may have pulled a few with a pneumatic, maybe even one from Harbor Freight. Keeps my trigger finger in shape...

Bob

I have a Marson rivet puller, and it takes two strokes to get it set. I do a short pull first then the second is longer and gets it done. A 50/50 or long/short pull has broken the pull tang, as the stiction gets too high. It might be that a professional unit does not do this.

Good question though - I have wondered the purpose built tool, and considered it not economically justified for a few drill-outs.

Steve - add a pneumatic pull rivet gun to your inventory.

Oh My.....

Psssshttttt

Done

LP4-3 or Cherry - matters not, it pulls them hard !

I think Cherry are blowing smoke somewhere :D

The purpose built pullers which are usually pneumatic, have a close tolerance very hard nose piece which insures proper seating of the inconel lock ring on the stem. It's usually not a big issue on the little 1/8 Cherry Max when pulling with a hand pop riveter. If the ring doesn't seat, and falls out, the stem which provides the shear strength will come loose. The ring seat is the primary reason Cherry Max needs to have the correct length selected, unlike a regular pop rivet.

Cherrymax rivets have a washer on the stem that acts as the driver for the locking collar and allows you to use pretty much any puller that is sturdy enough to pull and break the pin. The washer falls away when the rivet is set. Cherrylok rivets on the other hand don't have the washer and require a puller with the correct nose to ensure that the locking collar is properly set.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 flying since 2009

Back