What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Paint To All Ready Painted RV-6

Love the belly design

Mike,

Disregard what I said about the belly design. The solution you came up with is great!

Rob

Nice work.
You know there is a tipping point where the 'thinking about it' converts to 'start to really do it'.
IMO, your there.

New Design Being Worked on

Making a paper 3D model is a great idea. If you could fine tune these and make assembly instructions im sure you could sell plenty. I would love to have a few for paint job comparisons.

My simple boxy design was created using 2D techniques, a friend who designs using 3D is drawing up a complete model. His designs are way beyond what I do.

Here is an example of what he is working on for the RV-6:
Aaron_RV_6.jpg

I can make the one I did available for download, it is a PDF file. No problem sending it as a plain white copy.

Best regards,
mike Bauer

New 3D Model of a RV-6

A friend who designs paper models designed a download for the RV-6 using my proposed paint graphic.

Someone asked about how to build a paper model, well I'm in the process of doing a "Build-Thread" at Papermodelers website, interested here is a link: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/42360-murphs-models-vans-rv-6-build.html#post651467

Now for the model that I just completed here are a few photos, just finished gluing, 1st time on the landing gear:

Rv-6-Glue-Dry.jpg

Here is the bottom view:

Belly-View.jpg

Here is a rear Left side view:

Left-Side-View.jpg

Final photo right side view photo after the front view was taken, glue still drying:

Side-View-RV-6.jpg

Model took about 10-hours to complete. All in all interesting version, way better than the model I created.

Still working on a final paint graphic, just took a break to put this model together. Updates soon!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

For those that search out the PDF of the model to purchase, you are looking for the $1.50 version for plain B&W, not the $3 version (unless you want a model with MBauer's paint scheme :rolleyes:). Not posting a link so as to comply with Doug's advertising policy, just trying to keep others from making the same $3 mistake I did.

Done

Annual Condition inspection completed March 1, rest of month fixing fiberglass issues and painting.

A few photos;
Wet Wing Paint
4-Wing-Paint.jpg

More wet paint:
5-Wet-Paint.jpg

Outside after preflight:
6-Out-of-Hanger.jpg

Time to Fly:
7-Time-to-Fly.jpg

6lbs of paint added. Total outlay for paint and supplies $150, should have gone with a better paint than Behr Premium. Paint brush to add the red, white, and blue.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Looking great Mike! I already have and idea where we will do a nice air-to-air shots. In the same stone tunnel by Seward :)
Or over Harding Icefield.

Top job Mike - looks great. Well done on doing something different? that is one big bird! :D

Back