What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Nose/Tail Art!

Sky Terrier

Our RV-7A "Sky Terrier" finally got her tail art.
skyterrier.jpg

Last edited:
CDMPlane

Artwork by John Stahr, lovely airbrushed effect makes the griffin stand out from the background.The image is from the squadron badge of 210 squadron Royal Air Force; my father flew with this squadron from 1959-1962. In heraldic terms its a technically its a "griffin segreant".

Chris

Badtz Maru

We had planned this back when the plane was painted, but just now got around to sticking it on (need to get a bigger one made):

Badtz Maru

IMG_20111113_094350.jpg

RV 8 134th Assault Helicopter Company Patch

This is the painting of my Unit patch of the 134th Assault Helicopter Company from Viet Nam in 1970. My RV 8 was painted by Karl Beamer, former Art Professor at Bloomsburg ,PA

Duane Dillingham
DEMONS.jpg

I just got my issue of AOPA Pilot and saw the article on Jerri Bergen. It drew my eye because the art was familiar - she chose the One For Maxine art as an example to give to the magazine. I guess I better hurry up and get my project to the paint stage. No turning back now! :D

Tail art

Here is my current tail art on the 4...it is a vinyl for now, but hopefully I can have an airbrushed version done one of these days. Yes, it's my wife Carrie :D

null.jpg

The 4 is named after her as well...

null-1.jpg

Tail Art

Finally got around to putting some tail art on the airplane.

IMG_0368.JPG

Last edited:
Nose Tail

The 'Girl art was purchased as a PS file. One layer of flower lei was dropped. The lei flew off and stuck to the rudder, as the story goes. The prop is working on the other lei...

fxz605.jpg

2z885rm.jpg

More of an all over shot than nose/tail, but still one of my favorite photos of my RV-8.

Sold in '05 and I still miss that plane (and the RV community) every day.

Best regards,
Ken Balch
RV-8 N118KB (sold)

RV8JK0014.jpg

Last edited:
My wife, being a senior level manager, would not allow a rendering of her scantly clad as I had wished. :confused:So I decided to honor my university, Jacksonville State in Alabama, with the gamecock logo that was in use when I graduated in '88. It took a few phone calls and they would not turn over the copyrights but they directed me to a printer that had rights and who could produce mirror images on a vinyl suitable for exterior surfaces.
FullSizeRender.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Tail art inspired from the Montana Air National Guard F-16 unit based in Great Falls, Montana. The mountains to the left represent the mountainous western portion of the state of Montana and as it tapers to the right the high rolling hills of eastern Montana. The Bison Skull was an original design of Charles M. Russell - a famous western artist who used the Montana Bison Symbol on the signature line of many of his paintings. Being a native of Bozeman, Montana I felt this tail art best represented my home state. Paint was done by Gillis Aircraft Painting in Tuttle, Oklahoma and the graphics by Freedom Design.
KurtKlewin.jpg

I am a big fan of your MTANG/CMR Tail art. Do you have a photo of the entire airplane? Do you still own it?

Thanks,

Scott
MTANG 1992-1997

Back