What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Louisiana to Florida

dmaib

Well Known Member
I had a really nice Pilots n Paws trip today. Bob Albrecht, from Bridge City, LA and I did the second "tag team" transport we have done in the past few months. Today, Bob and his beautiful yellow RV-6A Picked up Eddie, a two year old Border Collie in New Iberia, LA, and met me in Marianna FL. Eddie was headed for Deland, FL, where Ms. Jerri Carter runs a Border Collie rescue operation. Eddie is going to be evaluated as a service dog candidate. Jerri told me that they have had very good luck training BC's that seem to have an exceptional level of need for human contact, as seizure alert dogs. Well, Eddie definitely likes people. Bob had Eddie in a harness in the luggage area and during the flight, Eddie managed to sneak out of his harness and come up and lay his head in Bob's lap, where he snoozed for the remainder of the flight. I could tell that Bob was already attached to Eddie when I got to Marianna. We took a couple of photo's, loaded up on discounted fuel offered by the Marianna airport for PnP flights, and Eddie and I headed for Deland FL. I quickly fell for Eddie as well, and hated to part with him in Deland. I told Jerri that if for some reason, Eddie could not be placed in a home or as a service dog, to please let me know.
It was a great day of flying that included a couple of for real instrument approaches. My airplane, fresh out of it's condition inspection, is running great and it was beautiful cruising along in the sunshine, above the overcast, listening to great tunes on Sirius. What a day!

5zamb.jpg

2dl9qpt.jpg

xgfdc1.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic!

I am very happy to see such a wonderful service. My hats off to you David. I admire your work with the dogs. Hopefully when mine is done I can help out in some way. I lost my 12 year old lab yesterday to cancer but felt like she had a great life. At the same time I felt sorry for all the neglected and mistreated animals out there. Seeing this story is definitely a spirit lifter. THANKS, Great work!

Back