What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you sell a partially completed RV?

LowandSlow

I'm New Here
An acquaintance has asked for help selling his partially completed RV12. I have some experience with the manufactured aircraft marketplace but none with the amateur built aircraft marketplace.

Some of the things I'd like understand are:

Where do partially completed RV buyers and sellers meet - Vansairforce.net, Trade-A-Plane, EAA Chapters?

How are partially completed RVs priced - at the cost of the included kits, any labor included?

How are pre-buy inspections and delivery handled?

What documentation should the selling builder provided?

I'd appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Thanks very much.

Richard Gregory

Pricing is typically a discount on the Vans kit prices with the amount being negotiated between buyer and seller. Labor is not usually recovered.

The buyer will need a signed sales agreement that includes the kit serial number and a copy of the build logs from the previous owner(s).

Another option is to donate it to a charity and write off the value of the parts and the labor, which would likely be much higher than the sales price.

BTW, I purchased my kit from a charity that received it from a builder who could not complete construction and apparently wanted to avoid liability.

Back