Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Not all, but some of those holes will be threaded to take the emp fairing when you're ready for that. DWG-44 shows it (at least on the tailwheel instructions) There is also a F-794A that is a gap cover that will attach via these screw holes.

rvblog.thebrices.com
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmingman View Post
Not all, but some of those holes will be threaded to take the emp fairing when you're ready for that. DWG-44 shows it (at least on the tailwheel instructions) There is also a F-794A that is a gap cover that will attach via these screw holes.
Bummer....I looked at DWG28...all rivets...and that's what I did

Oh well, I'll fix it later

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Old 08-13-2018, 03:34 AM

Default F-792 Rudder Stop

I manufactured the rudder stops P/N: F-792 as per the Van's drawing 27A. However, when I checked the rudder maximum deflection I found there was at least 5/32 inch gap between the rudder stop and P/N: R-405 on the rudder.

I then redesigned new rudder stops out of the same material using Van's dimensions for the vertical face (i.e. that sits against the fuselage) but modified the horizontal surface to achieve the correct rudder deflection.

The reason I used the original Van's dimensions on the vertical face is the rudder comes in close proximity to the fuselage skin at full deflection. If you extend the length of the stop beyond the skin it may contact the rudder and damage the skin.

I have included a drawing showing the finished dimensions of my new rudder stops (click on the link below to view). I would suggest that you mark out the horizontal surface but then add at least 1/16 inch extra material on the face that contacts with R-405. This will allow you to 1. remove the required material to obtain the stated rudder deflection (i.e. 1 & 1/8 inch gap from rudder skin to elevator trailing edge) and 2. shape the rudder stop so that the entire surface will contact R-405 instead of a point.

My other piece of advice is to do all of the above before riveting the rudder stops on (i.e. easier than having to drill out rivets if you make a mistake).

I hope this information is helpful. The second link below is a photo of my installed left hand stop.

Happy building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141779426@N07/25775267443

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141779426@N07/26105124980
IO-360-M1B
Catto 3 blade prop
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffg View Post
I manufactured the rudder stops P/N: F-792 as per the Van's drawing 27A. However, when I checked the rudder maximum deflection I found there was at least 5/32 inch gap between the rudder stop and P/N: R-405 on the rudder.

I then redesigned new rudder stops out of the same material using Van's dimensions for the vertical face (i.e. that sits against the fuselage) but modified the horizontal surface to achieve the correct rudder deflection.

The reason I used the original Van's dimensions on the vertical face is the rudder comes in close proximity to the fuselage skin at full deflection. If you extend the length of the stop beyond the skin it may contact the rudder and damage the skin.

I have included a drawing showing the finished dimensions of my new rudder stops (click on the link below to view). I would suggest that you mark out the horizontal surface but then add at least 1/16 inch extra material on the face that contacts with R-405. This will allow you to 1. remove the required material to obtain the stated rudder deflection (i.e. 1 & 1/8 inch gap from rudder skin to elevator trailing edge) and 2. shape the rudder stop so that the entire surface will contact R-405 instead of a point.

My other piece of advice is to do all of the above before riveting the rudder stops on (i.e. easier than having to drill out rivets if you make a mistake).

I hope this information is helpful. The second link below is a photo of my installed left hand stop.

Happy building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141779426@N07/25775267443

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141779426@N07/26105124980
Gordon, Thank you.

Your rudder stop looks great. I immediately saved the photo and drawing to my tips folder.
I was going to go through the drill just like you did but now I have a great head start.

Your photos of the rudder stop were next to your photos of the electric elevator trim wiring routing...I like them so much I saved them too.

Do you have more photos of your project online?

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018