What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Steam Back-up?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi All,

Would like to get everyone's thought on removing steam gauges all together?

I am installing a g3x system 2x7 inch screens and a G5 and would like to see if it's worth it to keep the steam or just use the G5 as back-up.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

I am using a G5 as a primary on my Cozy3 so I cannot imagine the need for an additional backup to that one (provided you have the battery for the G5) :D

I presume the OP is contemplating IFR operation, where it is prudent to ask what you will do if something suddenly rolls over and dies (or worse - very slowly rolls over and dies).

If your existing gyros are vacuum powered, I?d ditch them. May do more harm than good to have backups that are less reliable than the primary.

I presume the G5 has its own battery.

On new panels I add an analog airspeed instrument. Not as a backup, but as my preferred airspeed indication for take off and landing. On my first glass panel I also added an analog altimeter. I don?t anymore as I found I never used it.

Carl

Certified lead

Many certified glass panels will also have backup steam airspeed and altimeter gauges. Is it necessary? Maybe not if you only fly VFR and can land your plane without looking at airspeed gauge or that annoying backup altimeter.

If you ever experienced an electronic or software "glitch" that rendered your glass panel a big black hole, then you may want a backup steam gauge or two. Having experienced several experimential glass panel glitches over nasty terrain, once during the approaching evening hours, there is no question that I'll keep airspeed and altimeter steam gauges with my nice experimental glass stuff. It's amazing what runs thru a persons mind when that one pretty colorful panel goes blank........ and they do go blank .........

Many certified glass panels will also have backup steam airspeed and altimeter gauges. Is it necessary? Maybe not if you only fly VFR and can land your plane without looking at airspeed gauge or that annoying backup altimeter.

If you ever experienced an electronic or software "glitch" that rendered your glass panel a big black hole, then you may want a backup steam gauge or two. Having experienced several experimential glass panel glitches over nasty terrain, once during the approaching evening hours, there is no question that I'll keep airspeed and altimeter steam gauges with my nice experimental glass stuff. It's amazing what runs thru a persons mind when that one pretty colorful panel goes blank........ and they do go blank .........

Alt and AS. I also had my glass go dark over hostile terrain. I find myself cross checking the steam gauges with what the glass has to say. Keeps them both honest...!

+1 on AS and Alt

Also had glass go dark and I do reference the AS, also set the altimeter to the glass as part of checklist.

Personal preference I think as I fly with many people who are straight glass and a number of portables can give you GPS speed and altitude which works in a pinch.
Figs

Thanks Gents. I plan on making the ship IFR when funds become available for a 650. So having back-up's would make me feel better.

Thanks,
D

Not sure why anyone would install an AI, AS, Alt when a single self powered G5 does it all these days. Flown plenty of IFR practice approaches using just the G5 and Ipad.

Not sure why anyone would install an AI, AS, Alt when a single self powered G5 does it all these days. Flown plenty of IFR practice approaches using just the G5 and Ipad.

Because the AS and ALT require no power.

I'm with Walt. With a G5 as backup to your other glass why bother with the round dials? With a properly designed electrical system and backup batteries the odds of a total blackout are very slim.

I have to agree with Walt.

I just installed 2 G5s each with 4-hour battery backup and a GMU-11 magnetometer. The HSI G5 automatically reverts to AI, ASI, Alt mode if the primary G5 drops offline.

Removed ASI, VSI, Alt, turn coordinator, and encoder. Most of those are just another opportunity for a leak in the pitot and/or static system. I also carry Foreflight on an iPad & an iPhone and a Stratux with GPS & AHRS. Plus a dock-mount Aera 660 with (limited) AHRS capability connected to the G5s.

The OP is planning a G3x primary, with the G5 as a backup. Garmin specifically designed the G5 to share little or no electronic components or software routines with the G3x, so if there is a hardware or software glitch in one, it is highly unlikely to also impact the other.

A couple of years ago I did not agree with Walt. Today I do. :eek: Walt already knew what I subsequently found out on my own. And so it is as he explained above. Until I got into the details and then bought a G3X touch equipped aircraft I was ardent about having an AS and Alt analog backup. The G5 with battery backup (and/or a TCW battery backup) gives plenty of options, plus they use different software from other Garmin products for this very purpose of redundancy. And the backup battery is screwed right on the back of the G5. I now realized the analog instrument longing was a comfort thing more than a statistically significant issue. I just wanted my nookie. That friendly stuff I had been looking at for 30 years. I am over it now. But if you want your nookie go ahead and put it in the panel. No complaints here.

Jim

G5 backup

One more agreement with the general trend here - I have the G5 with battery as the totally independent backup. With no need for vacuum, the pad now houses a backup alternator, since alternators do fail, while the main battery is far less likely to fail, and even if, that's when the G5 has its role to play. Then, since a dark glass situation means no GPS position, I also bring along the iPad with Foreflight.

Back