What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal rudder stiffeners?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I remember somebody mentioning that over time the -9 rudder skins were showing signs of cracking at the stiffeners, and that some recommended prosealing them to absorb the vibration. The most recent instructions from Van's don't seem to indicate the need to do this.

Is this an issue?

Is this what other builders are doing (prosealing them)?

If so, does the proseal just need to go on the trailing edge of the stiffeners (where it comes to a pretty sharp point) or are others prosealing the entire stiffener?

Thanks,

Steve

Well, when I built my second rudder I prosealed the entire stiffener length and the TE wedge. My first one cracked out due to over driving the rivets on the back rivet plate. I learned much about metal work as I progressed through the project, so returning to build another rudder was easy at the end.

Thanks Andy--

When you redid the rudder and prosealed the entire stiffener, did you have to use a larger dimple die to leave room for the proseal. I know for the wing tanks they recommend a "tank" dimple die to accomodate the proseal. Did you do this or did you just use the normal 3/32 dimples?

Thanks again,
Steve

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I remember somebody mentioning that over time the -9 rudder skins were showing signs of cracking at the stiffeners, and that some recommended prosealing them to absorb the vibration. The most recent instructions from Van's don't seem to indicate the need to do this.

Is this an issue?

Is this what other builders are doing (prosealing them)?

If so, does the proseal just need to go on the trailing edge of the stiffeners (where it comes to a pretty sharp point) or are others prosealing the entire stiffener?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve:

When I completed my Rudder, Left and Right Elevator, I used Pro Seal on the Stiffeners and Trailing Edge, just enough to cover everything. I didn't use a larger dimpler, for I didn't overdo using Pro Seal. I especially used a "glob" at the thin edge of the stiffeners.

Hope this helps.

Henry
Wings next.....
N918HB

Back