What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you post pics of RV-4 rudder pedals?

AX-O

Well Known Member
I am trying to install the rudder pedal assembly on my RV4. I need a little help. Can you post some pics of the rudder pedals? Thanks!

RV4 Brake Pics

This is how I did mine. I ran braided hose from the master cylinders all the way to the wheels. There is a common brake fluid reservoir on the firewall. So far, no problems in 134 hours.

1121235qq2.jpg

1121238qa1.jpg

1121239zn2.jpg

1121236er1.jpg

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV4 N455J

90 days or outa sight...

The teflon lines I put in my RV4 started leaking exactly after 5 years. Braided steel from NAPA throughout solved the problem. Install the master cyllinders with the plungers "up" (as shown in the excellent photos by Jerry) so you can bleed them from the wheel cyllinder by pumping fluid in until it overflows from the Master cyllinder. I made a fitting for the top of my master cyllinder that had a small line that fed overboard. Also worked good for inverted flight :)

Fwd baggage (batt on firewall)Rudder pedals with 1500 hours!

NAPA braided steel lines=no leaks.

Rob Ray
RV4ormerly
HR2

Last edited:
If you double click to enlarge this picture (the lower one) you can in fact see quite a bit of pedal detail, but it depends what you want. Yes, the -4 was clearly designed for bow legged cowboys if that is the issue.

I have never felt that the inboard upper brackets were well designed. All the load is placed on bolts that are only supported on one side. Although the system works it does get sloppy with use. I expect that after may hours on put on the airframe this area will require some rebuilding. I have included these extra brackets on my recent rockets. It is a small modification and easily done. The pedals now swing better and more consistently with time in use.
pedals012yh9.jpg

Thanks guys. The RV4 plans that I have are old and don't show much detail regarding the rudder pedals.

thumbs up for brake pedal modification

Thanks for posting the picture of your modification, Tom. I just installed the brakes on the rv-4 I am building and will add your mod to my list of work.

rudder pedals

I bought an RV-4 with 400 hours on it and shortly after that I was sitting in the hanger and pushed on the right rudder pedal and it went to the firewall. What happened was the cable was attached to the pedal with a clevise pin with a cotter pin through it. Over the years the pilots shoe wore the cotter pin down and it fell out and the pin then fell out. This would have been an accident for sure on a take off and having no right rudder. My A & P had me put a 3/16" bolt in to replace the pin and then I cotter pinned the castle nut on the bolt and, I put the nut and on the outside of the cable and not inside where the shoe would wear on it.

Bill.

Bill, there was a service bulletin issued on this in '96 see here.

Make sure you use one of the bolts with the rounded head per the callout, otherwise it might catch up where it passes the bend on the firewall.

I think the SB is what you want, rather than pictures. If you scroll down my blog, the main and fuselage sections you will find a few though.

Glad it happened in the hangar.

PS You might want to check the other RV4 SBs since that one was not done.

Back