What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bruce Bohannon's Flight School

Timmy

I'm New Here
Just returned from Bruce's Flyin Tiger school for tail wheel endorsement and RV-8 transition training. I could not be happier about the training, skills and knowledge that I received while I was there. Training in Bruce's RV-8 made my first solo flight a real joy! If anyone requires transition training I would highly recommend his school.

Really?

I didn't know he was doing such a thing.

Returned from where?

How long has he been doing this type of thing?

:confused: CJ

Just returned from Bruce's Flyin Tiger school for tail wheel endorsement and RV-8 transition training. I could not be happier about the training, skills and knowledge that I received while I was there. Training in Bruce's RV-8 made my first solo flight a real joy! If anyone requires transition training I would highly recommend his school.

How long did all that take?

He has his own facility with two runways south of Houston Texas near Angleton where he provides one on one ground school and has a RV-8 equipped with full rear controls including brakes. The time spent there will depend on your experience and insurance dual minimums. Bruce has a American Legend Cub that you use for the tail wheel training and endorsement. I was from out of town so he basically kept a clean schedule for me while I was there and made me his priority! Bruce's info is as follows.

Bruce Bohannon
Flyin' Tiger
Flying School
2720 CR49
Angleton,TX 77515
Flyin' Tiger Field (81D)

Phone 281-889-8078
[email protected]

Last edited:
Yes. Instruction and transition training. Bruce does this very thing at Flyin' Tiger Field. He instructs primary students in a Legend Cub up through advanced Pitts S-2B training. His RV-8 transition training is approved by the FAA and Bruce has full dual controls in the rear cockpit. He is up in the air teaching almost every good weather hour. He says if you give him enough bananas he can teach a monkey to fly.

Myself and 4 friends went to Flyin' Tiger last year and got Pitts transition training from Bruce. He was excellent and his home place has a really great grass strip vibe. We enjoyed visiting with Bruce as much as flying with him.

He had the Flyin' Tiger record-setting aircraft in the hangar with the rest of the neat stuff when we visited.

Down to Earth nice guy. Highly recommended.

Jim

I spent two nights in Angleton when I did my transition training with Bruce. Both his ground and flight training are excellent, well thought out, well paced, and Bruce is a blast to fly with. Highly recommend his program!

I spent 30 mins with him on the phone the other day. I like his no nonsense style and plan to go down there for transition training.

I agree as well. Just did my TWE and transition training with him two weeks ago. He is a wealth of knowledge and a great instructor. I highly recommend him.

I also would highly Bruce. I did my RV transition training with him. Great guy, good stories, and a all together great time.

Thanks Bruce

As I mentioned in another thread, I and a buddy went down to Angleton and got training with Bruce. I got RV-8 transition training in addition to my tail wheel endorsement, and my buddy got his tail wheel endorsement. We flew the American Legend Cub and then I spent quite a bit of time in the -8.

Bruce is a rare cat...13K hours mostly in small planes, mostly tailwheel. Former airshow pilot, Reno racer (Pushy Galore), crop duster, competitive aerobatic pilot and of course there's all those RV-4 Exxon Tiger "time to climb to altitude" records.

He lives on his own airstrip which has two very well kept runways. Two airport dogs, a group of interesting friends, a fridge full of "beverages" for after flight relaxation, and never ending stories. To say he's an excellent stick and rudder pilot is to vastly understate the case and he is passionate about hammering those skills into you. I would be lying if I said I went to the hotel each night feeling good about my skills, but at the end of it, I felt I had come a long way and was ready to take my plane up safely.

I felt that I definitely got what I needed and my money's worth, and I could definitely see going back for some refresher training in the more esoteric skills of flying a tail wheel plane.

If anyone has specific questions, contact me off line via PM.

I did my RV-8 transition training with Bruce last year. Excellent experience. Bruce has a wealth of knowledge about RV-8 flying technique and ownership. Take copious notes. His setup at Flying Tiger field makes for a fantastic learning experience as it covers both short-field grass strip and paved runway situations in pretty much the exact same plane you're likely to be flying. The RV-8 handles quite differently during 3-point landing than other RV types. It's better/safer to experience these characteristics for the first several hours with Bruce in the back seat than on your own.

Last edited:
I'm definitely planning on working with him. Possibly both Mike and Bruce... and more, if I can find it. I like a lot of training. Or need. Whatever.

going to Sun N Fun

I was over Florida one day... and Bruce popped up on frequency. He and his wife were nearby in separate planes. He engaged us in a little "formation" flying. When I looked left, he was next to us.... but upside down. His wife was a bit more cautious and held back a half mile or so. Anyway, I bet his teaching is top notch. His flight precision sure is.

Back