What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which battery

The Odyssey PC680 comes with the kit. Any 12 volt battery can be used for testing. Just make sure the polarity is correct. Reversed polarity could fry expensive electronics.

..... Just make sure the polarity is correct. Reversed polarity could fry expensive electronics.

Be especially mindful of this if you are used to the PC680 installation on other RV's.

The PC680 in the RV-12 is reversed when compared to the installation in my -7A. I came very close to hooking up a battery charger with the polarity reversed. :eek:

The only PC680 batteries I have seen have had the negative terminal on the left and the positive terminal on the right - which happens to tie in with normal GA practice. This is the type supplied for the RV-12.

I can't see any mention in the Odyssey literature or on any website selling PC680 offering a choice of terminal layout.

Odyssey Extreme Battery brochure - terminal layouts on page 10

Last edited:
The only PC680 batteries I have seen have had the negative terminal on the left and the positive terminal on the right - which happens to tie in with normal GA practice. This is the type supplied for the RV-12.

I can't see any mention in the Odyssey literature or on any website selling PC680 offering a choice of terminal layout.

Odyssey Extreme Battery brochure - terminal layouts on page 10

On the 7, the terminals are near the firewall and the + is on the left. If Vans has you mounting the battery with the termanels away from the firewall on the 12, the + would be on the right.

Ah, okay, thanks, gasman - installation differences.

The 12 does have the battery mounted with the terminals away from the firewall.

Back