What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport door handles

rvdave

Well Known Member
Im considering replacing the stock outer handle and mechanism with the Aerosport flush handle. I like the look, the lock capability, but am wondering about the robustness of the thinner aluminum handle. I have a tight sealing pair of doors, can turn it with one hand, but wondering if they can take the torque that may be placed upon them?

Last edited:
Im considering replacing the stock outer handle and mechanism with the Aerosport flush handle. I like the look, the lock capability, but am wondering about the robustness of the thinner aluminum handle. I have a tight sealing pair of doors, can turn it with one hand, but wondering if they can take the torque that may be placed upon them?

Give Geoff a call and ask him directly. I've operated his doors when I've flown with him. I don't see any problems with using his handles.

Ok,that's what I really want to know, if they can take the torque force applied to them.

I have them also with the mcmaster carr seals and they work great and look good.

LlT8GrUekKrv1uvykIqdR8xt8y-GUpVVK3pxPNiXOPP_UdjCrigz5IDs2x5A1zQhK-UXT8hKDlmABg=w1920-h1080-no

The handles can take the force applied to them. The lock mechanism, however, can't IMHO. The handles are very nice and not too difficult to install. They are very nice. Having a lock is at least half the battle, whether the lock works or not.

The handles can take the force applied to them. The lock mechanism, however, can't IMHO. The handles are very nice and not too difficult to install. They are very nice. Having a lock is at least half the battle, whether the lock works or not.

Jesse is right about the handles taking the force. The "handle" is machined to a fairly tight tolerance to the ring that actually rotates the mechanism, so that tight fit is where the rotational force is transferred. The roll pin is there to provide a pivot point for the handle to activate the safety latch button.

As far as the lock, I partially agree. If you have slop in-between the handle and the "safety latch pin", you can pull the handle away from the door and get leverage to overcome the locking arm. I made up little UHMW spacers to remove that slop from my imperfect trimming of the safety latch pin. As a result, when my handles are locked, you can't get your fingers behind the handles to pull them with any force. Realistically, you could use a pliers or another tool to pull on the handles, but at that point, I'd rather have that locking arm bend out of the way so the door itself isn't damaged. A committed thief won't be deterred by any airplane door lock... I see it as keeping the opportunistic criminals out by making it as inconvenient as possible.

Last edited:
Back