- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Default Dual Alternators on a IO-540

I am looking at installing a "PLANE-POWER FLYSAFE ALTERNATOR FS1-14" alternator on the vacuum pad.

I have decided on a dual alternator setup, and the vacuum pad seems like a good idea, however, I can't find much information on dual alternator installations.

If there are any people who have a dual alternator installs on an IO-540 could you please share your experiences and provide feedback on:

a) what alternator did you use
b) how did you mount it
c) were there any mounting issues (i.e. Oil filter access, restrictions etc..)
d) anything else I/we should know

It is the same old adage, "you don't know what you don't know"

Thanks in advance.
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki_Aviator View Post
I am looking at installing a "PLANE-POWER FLYSAFE ALTERNATOR FS1-14" alternator on the vacuum pad.

I have decided on a dual alternator setup, and the vacuum pad seems like a good idea, however, I can't find much information on dual alternator installations.

If there are any people who have a dual alternator installs on an IO-540 could you please share your experiences and provide feedback on:

a) what alternator did you use
b) how did you mount it
c) were there any mounting issues (i.e. Oil filter access, restrictions etc..)
d) anything else I/we should know

It is the same old adage, "you don't know what you don't know"

Thanks in advance.

There are many instances of B&C SD-20s being installed in RV-10s. Until the plane power unit was released, that was really the only widely available option. As with the unit you are looking at, it is mounting on the vacuum pad.

Mounting issues will depend on which version of the 540 you have and the other accessories. I have the OEM 540 through Van's. Oil filter access isn't a problem on my engine. I didn't install any of the angled adapters for the filter, although I'm aware that B&C has many different length pieces to accomodate just about any installation.

I installed my SD-20 while the engine was on the bench. If it was hung with the engine on the engine mount, it would have been a royal PITA. Even then I had to cut a ratcheting wrench down to about 2" long to tighten one bolt.

The Plane Power unit isn't all that old. Ask Plane Power if they have units installed in other RV-10s. Plane Power was very helpful in the situation I had in which a Van's change to the engine configuration caused an issue with the primary alternator alignment.

bob
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Whelen LED Light Man

I have the SD-20 on the vac pad. I also have the Raven adapter.

Also have the airwolf remote oil filter which was required for my tight FW installation.
http://www.airwolf.com/images/OilFilterKits.jpg

I use this adjustable voltage regulator. WAY cheaper than the one from B&C. I have the voltage set to 13.8. Main alternator is at 14.1.

This setup works and is used often (meaning the SD unit kicks in) for our teams night show. With the added lights and things we use, my 50amp was not keeping up. This SD-20 has done the trick for me. It was a VERY tight install for me, but fits.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM

I'm going with the 2-alt setup. My primary is a PlanePower 70amp (AL12-EI70/B) and my back-up is the FS1-14 mounted the vacuum pump pad--no mounting or clearance issues but it's close as there's a lip on the FS1-14 that is about 1/32" from the oil filter. There's basically only one way it will go on without hitting the filter. My engine is a C4B5 and I'm not using any kind of oil filter adapters.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 02-19-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM

I have the standard 60A plane power and the B&C 20A on the vacuum pad. I didn't have any problems fitting either with the engine on the mount.

60A goes to main buss and 20A to ESS buss with appropriate relay/switching. The electrical system works as advertised but I haven't fired up the engine yet to see if the alternators do what I expect.

The only thing I would say is that the B&C with the regulator is a relatively pricey option.
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2018 Donation Made
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM

We went with an 8 amp SD-8: http://www.bandc.biz/alternator8ampshomebuilt.aspx It installed just fine with no issues.

Per the aero electric connection bible we used the cheap 'Ford Regulator' so the total solution was economical. We are happy with the setup.
http://N42BU.com
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Another SD 8 installation here, seems to be just fine.

Dual batteries also.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Plane Power x2

I have the 60 amp plane power on my IO-540, normal location. I have the FS1-14 on the vacuum pad. Mounts easy, doesn't conflict with anything (I have the straight oil filter mount, not the 90). I have mine connected, per VPX recommendation, such that both alternators will not be on at the same time. That allows the VPX to detect a drop in amps, notifying me to switch to the 30 amp backup. By the way, unless I have a bunch of lights on or heated pitot, my normal amp draw in flight is less than 30 amps, so I can pretty easily fly VFR on the backup alone.

A note: if you connect it like this, you don't want the FS1-14, which produces 13.6V, you want the FS1-14b which puts out 14.2V. The FS1-14 is designed to be a traditional backup in which it runs in the background all the time but doesn't put out amps unless the voltage drops below 13.6, then it kicks in. It's not a huge deal, but I figured it out after I installed mine.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Just a couple of thoughts......not trying to talk you out of anything.

My first Rocket was dual alternator, my second was dual battery. Same redundancy and much cheaper and simpler.

If your IO-540 is hopped up at all, like 9 to 1 or 10 to 1 pistons, you have to stay away from the SD-8 alternator. The engine pulses will ultimately shear the gear pin. You'll have to go with the SD-20. This was info I got from the engine builder so take it for what its worth.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM

I had a 60 amp primary and B&C 20 amp on my first -10. As mentioned, you can get into some fit issues potentially. For example, if you've got a B&C angled oil filter adapter and want to use an SD-20 also, you'll need the spacer kit that B&C has - it moves the SD-20 aft about 3/4" for clearance.

Bob