What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

hangar chocks

Rope

I use 3/4" rope. Just flip the length around the tire to form a circle. It fits well under the wheel pant and doesn't damage pant.
I frequently have skeptics ask about holding power until I ask them to try and push the airplane over them.
Works good for me and I also keep a set stowed for travel.

Thanks guys.

My main goal is to get the tires off of the floor as to not leave black marks, hence why I'd need three of them. Secondarily is to stop the airplane, but not required.

Maybe I'll have to just make my own out of 1/4 plywood or something.

Thx,

-Jim

How about using carpet tiles?

If you don't need blocks, how about using carpet tiles... you can even coordinate the color ;) You probably can get some out of date sample pieces locally for free.

Car mats

I use rubber car mats. The ones for the rear seat footwells are square. I got mine from Poundland (everything costs 1 UK Pound - and they came in a pack of two).

Dave

You can also find a very similar "garage car stop" in the good ole J.C Whitney catalog and on Amazon.

Mats for under tires

Jim,
I had my hangar and garage done last summer. I found a black mat at Lowes 4' x 8', its marketed to park your lawn tractor on. Just cut them down to approx 16" x 24", had plenty to use under the tires (A model) and had leftovers for under the car tires.

Apache Mills, Inc. 4'W x 8'L Black Garage Mat
Item #: 345720 Model #: 251-0900
The ultimate garage floor protector
Perfect for use under golf carts, ATVs, lawn mowers, motorcycles, exercise equipment and more
Protects garage floors from fluid leaks

The epoxy is not supposed to mark but I did find if the plane (or car) sat for extended periods of time it did start leaving a faint brown mark. With the mats the floor stays nice and clean, it also helps you get the plane back in the same spot every time.

If you want a picture let me know.

Gary

Jim,

If you paint your hangar floor with polyurethane instead of epoxy you won't get the tire marks and the finish will have a very high gloss finish that is easier to keep clean. Sherwin Williams can also mix it in the exact color you want instead of standard colors. Be sure to etch the floor with acid before you coat it and rinse twice. Wear protection, of course. Also wear a charcoal filter suitable for the polyurethane. You can buy them at the paint store for about twenty bucks. Buy a professional mop bucket from Home Depot and you will be good to go. And, you can park in the same spot if you like.

Jim

Urathane top coat

I put a clear urathane top coat on my 100% solids epoxy white floor. I may be wrong, as I have not finished the 7 yet to know, but doubt tire marks will be a problem. I used Legacy Industrial epoxy. Great people and excellent system.

Back