What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a simple paint scheme for a 9A

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Troubled by trying to design a paint scheme for my 9A slider. Used up lots of paper to design. If you have a design, say a base color and two color stripping would be great. If you do not mind sharing, your picture would be greatly appreciated!

Ron in Oregon

Here ya go.

My former -6A. The wingtips don't show but they had a curved, red trim from near the landing light to the outer rear tip. The tan stripe matched the interior:

Jimandme.jpg

Red is one of the most expensive paints, so we minimized that amount.

BTW...the big guy is 6' 5" and I wanted to show that he fit and completed his transition training here.

Best,

Sort of like Pierre's....

front_view.jpg

If you are painting yourself this is about as easy as it gets. The wings are all white...the stripes are on the wingtips.

Last edited:
Worth considering is a base color and vinyl striping. That would be (maybe) cheaper and (maybe) easier than having the striping painted on.

greg

Guys, I like the EASY designs!!! Never thought of the vinyl strips but a cool idea since you can take them off when you want to change. Is vinyl something new for aircraft? Does it hold up pretty good? I think I'll work with these ideas. Do not be bashful to sent your pictures. I'am open to all. What can I expect to pay for a paint job like the ones above. I got one quote at $9K for a design I liked but surely could not afford. Thanks
Ron in Oregon

I believe

Van's very own 9A has vinyl stripes. Looked great when I saw it.
I'm considering that route myself.

Tom

Vinyl Stripes

I also like the clean (and hopefully less expensive) idea of some vinyl stripes. Does anyone have a reputable supplier and designer for this striping ?

Troubled by trying to design a paint scheme for my 9A slider. Used up lots of paper to design. If you have a design, say a base color and two color stripping would be great. If you do not mind sharing, your picture would be greatly appreciated!

Ron in Oregon
I would recomend you find an artsy Industrial Design person and hire them to help. Mine charged me $100 and listened to my likes and then gave me a few choices. They have an artist's sense for colors and design that most of us techy builder type guys just don't have. Mine also recommende long straight lines for our short airplanes.

I would recomend you find an artsy Industrial Design person and hire them to help.

Maybe art student as well...? You eventually decide whether you like the result or not. And as said, the cost is near nothing compared to the paint job and paints itself.

simple can look complex

Ron,
just a couple notes I couldn't keep to myself, FWIW.
Don't just look for -9a schemes, most any RV will give you ideas, and many will work on the 7 & 9 for sure.
A base colour can look pretty with vinyl striping, but you'd be wise to avoid the fibreglas pieces. They are fibreglas because they have a lot of compound curves, which is difficult to impossible to apply vinyl to, in a nice way.
if you are hangaring, then the vinyl will last as long as the paint.... if outside, it will weather to varying degrees depending on sun exposure.
If you paint the cowl or wingtips a second colour, then nice accents can be added in vinyl, without masking off the entire plane again. Narrow stripes can follow some compound curves much easier than large areas.
hope this makes sense....it comes from almost 3 years of agonizing over what to do with my 1 colour -9a!........still 'cool vanilla' and nothing else.:(

Perry good point about the vinyl on the fiberglass,did not know that. thanks. Jeff up above has a paint scheme just like the others in the beginning of my question.Nice paint scheme & paint job Jeff. I'am getting to love that scheme. Ted you gave two sites to check and I appreciated those pictures. Seems people have a flow about themselves where when you see a scheme and it jumps out at you or you grow to appreciate lines as they flow.Guys thanks for all the ideas and if you still have pictures feel free to post. Looks like the posts got lots of hits and thats a good thing. Thanks again everybody.
Ron in Oregon

Wheel Pants

In my process of collecting pictures of RV paint jobs that appeal to me, I see many with solid-color wheel pants....no stripes or accents. This can be a preferance thing or to make re-painting a dinged-up pant easier. (more of a concern when flying off of grass strips)
If you wanted to make the re-painting easier AND have the accent stripes, you could use matching vinyl graphics, even if the rest of your plane was all paint. When the wheel pant need re-painting, just put some heat to the vinyl to remove it and re-paint. Apply a new set of vinyl accent stripes when finished.
Have your vinyl graphics suppler make you a couple of extra sets for future use. (Cost should be less because of one set-up charge.)

I also like the clean (and hopefully less expensive) idea of some vinyl stripes. Does anyone have a reputable supplier and designer for this striping ?
Screaming Aero Graphics in Ocala, FL has done serveral RVs. I had him do my Diamond DA20. http://www.screamingaero.com/

I recommend a nice white as a base with vinyl graphics. You can change the scheme anytime you want. You could also paint striping or add color later....

All of the Diamond Aircraft are painted white with vinyl striping. Even their $700k Twin Star.......I am having a local company do my latest DA20 project. Any good experienced graphics company can do the work......

Vinyl Ghosts?

Has anyone ever changed their vinyl graphics out after a period of time?

What little experience I have had with them over paint, is when they are removed, there is still a ghost image left where the paint had never experienced any UV, hence the rest of the part had faded or changed colors.

This may or may not be a big deal, but it's one of the things I've thought about as I get ready to paint.

My 9A is white with vinyl, done by me. The cost of materials is about $75 per extra color, using the best vinyl available. That is good for ten years, or more if hangared. If you are using anything except straight lines, a computerized cutter is almost a necessity. I did the wingtips, and it is difficult but not impossible. With a heat gun and patience you can fit most compound curves. Actually, getting air bubbles out of a large surface like the rudder is harder--use a checkerboard pattern there. You can see my plane at http://www.classicaerodesigns.com/web/public/CC/CC2.asp?G=D54A6AF081FF4203982D3EAC1A00FFCE and I can detect no fading after four years.

Bob

That is sooooooooooooooooo clean!!

Thanks, Gasman. That is precisely what I was trying to achieve. I'm also very, very colorblind (my AME said I was the worst she had ever seen...I got none of the Ishihara plates correct). I chose the colors because they are colors that I perceive like everyone else. :) I also like straight lines on RVs. RVs are short spinner-to-tail and my personal opinion is that curvy designs make them look even shorter, where straight lines make them look a little longer. Of course this is just my completely subjective, unscientific opinion and others are certainly free to disagree.

Vinyl Strips

Worth considering is a base color and vinyl striping. That would be (maybe) cheaper and (maybe) easier than having the striping painted on.

greg

Here is my 9A with a white base and vinyl strips. Lots of flexibility if you or your wife changes your mind.

dsc_0653.jpg

Steve,
I really like your paint job and scheme. I'am liking the vinyl stripes buddy. Its all about the BUCK but also the pride. Beautiful plane. Where did you order the stripes from? Did heard from a person named Larry Simpson RV7A in Tampa has a nice design but I couldn't find him in Vansairforce or EAA national data base. If anybody knows him maybe you can ask Larry to post a picture of his plane. Looks like alot of folks are looking at this orginal post or thread. Its been 3 years for me of looking and drawing. Thanks Steve. Ron in Oregon

Vinyl Strips

Steve,
I really like your paint job and scheme. I'am liking the vinyl stripes buddy. Its all about the BUCK but also the pride. Beautiful plane. Where did you order the stripes from? Did heard from a person named Larry Simpson RV7A in Tampa has a nice design but I couldn't find him in Vansairforce or EAA national data base. If anybody knows him maybe you can ask Larry to post a picture of his plane. Looks like alot of folks are looking at this orginal post or thread. Its been 3 years for me of looking and drawing. Thanks Steve. Ron in Oregon

Ron,

I purchased the aircraft thru a broker and he also sells light sport. He told me that the stripes he had put on are from one of his light sport models, just made larger to fit.

His name is Frank Cuba with Lite Wings LLC http://www.litewings.com/home.html
His number is 308-548-8301

Hi Steve. I'll check that website. Did stop by at Vans today to see the 9A.Tom said they looked good and he was right! No peeling and colors are strong. I'am sold on the stick-on stripes. As all of you mentioned something about paint and designs it can hold you hostage mentally. But each one of you I think covered every angle of the process and saved alot of BUCKS with stick-on stripes with one base color. Thanks for all the pictures they were great! My fiberglass feathering the tips on to the tail feathers has finally come to a end after a month of sanding and applying and over and over. My painter guy said what I did in a month he would had it done in 4-5 days. I told him I gained alot of knowledge from the guys on Vansairforce forums about the West System Epoxy process. Would I do it again?!!!!! Na I'd build a RV 12!!!!!

Thanks everybody.
Ron in Oregon 9A

Back