What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

396 vs 496

Mr Charles

Well Known Member
Help,
I am considering purchasing a used GPS to replace my very outdated 195 in my RV-4. Am considering 396 or 496, but can't remember all the features/differences between them...could someone give me a quick primer on each, and advantages/disadvantages?
Thanks
Charles
[email protected]

Garmin has taken the 396 Out of Production

If you're looking at used units, either would be good (I have a 396). That said, the 496 has a faster processor and also has taxiway diagrams. I believe the 496 also comes with road mapping built in as well as an AOPA airport directory. Personally, I'd like to have the taxiway capability, but I normally fly with NOS diagrams on my kneeboard anyway. The road mapping I could do without as I leave a cheaper GPS in my car ready and available for would be thieves. Not sure about the impact of a faster processor, unless you're using the Instrument Panel page on the GPS. Also not sure of the benefit of the AOPA directory (the NEAREST AIRPORT function gives me all the data I need), unless you're looking for specific FBOs. If price isn't much different, I'd go with the 496. Otherwise, the 396 should give you everything you really need.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I would get the 496 since the used prices are really good for them right now.

It is my understanding that the 496 has better audio output isolation in case you want to connect it to your audio panel.

The faster processor is a real improvement over the 296-396.

The 496 has higher terrain resolution which makes the screen look sharper when you have terrain shading turned on.

Have you considered the Aera? I have a new 510 that replaced my 296 and I am lovin it!!!

Like stated above, the 496 has all the detail road maps and points of interest for the entire US preloaded. The 396 has basic maps but not the detail maps or points of interest. The safetaxi charts and AOPA stuff are just fluff....

Last edited:
I have the 396 and If to do it again I would get the 496. I use the weather function alot and also use the zoom to take a closer look. The processing speed is painfully slow. If speed of the unit is of no importance then both would be fine.

I regularly fly behind one of each, and frankly don't find that much difference in usefulness. We have on of each that pretty much stay in a given airplane.

The taxi diagrams are useful on the 496, especially at night at unfamiliar fields (I rarely fly the 396-equipped airplane at night)

The weather, music, and mapping have similar functionality.

FWIW. our 496 has had much more trouble with the battery than the 396--I suspect this is due to the more powerful processor. The 496 does get used about 50% more often, and is in a plane with a 24v electrical system so those may be factors as well.

Compared to the 396, the 496 has a little over 10x the amount of terrain detail, 5x faster GPS update rate, SafeTaxi airport diagrams (US), private airports in the database (US and western Europe), AOPA airport directory (US), and preloaded City Navigator road maps.

The 396 and 496 have the same processor and screen.

mcb

Compared to the 396, the 496 has a little over 10x the amount of terrain detail, 5x faster GPS update rate, SafeTaxi airport diagrams (US), private airports in the database (US and western Europe), AOPA airport directory (US), and preloaded City Navigator road maps.

The 396 and 496 have the same processor and screen.

mcb

Are you sure about that? I thought I read that the processor is faster on the 496 and the screen is higher rez.

Screen is the same rez per the specs...Not sure where that rumor ever came from unless it is the higher terrain resolution giving the impression that the screen is higher rez.

Not sure on the processor. I have always been told it was faster. It sure acts faster when you zoom out and pan the map!!!

Might just be a difference in the compression technology used for the databases???

Last edited:
396 v 496 v Aera?

Questions on 396/496/Aera:

So do you guys that have used both a 396 and a 496 feel it would be worth the $$ to sell my 396 and upgrade to a 496? I believe the 496 would be an exact plug and play (same connections is what I mean...I know it'll fit in the dock the same!), and my XM antenna would work fine and not miss a beat. The taxi diagrams sound nice (perhaps fluff as you mentioned Brian), but I just added an Adventure Pilot iFly 700 to a Ram mount, (moving sectional, approach plates and airport diagrams), so that feature is not really a factor. However, increased terrain rez and screen rez sound appealing. Is it noticable enough to warrant a change? I know the 396 is no longer fully supported, but I was still able to do recent FW and database updates, so a 396 seems viable for the near future.

Brian, sounds like you have used both an X96 and your new Aera. I recently played with a friend's Aera (on the ground), and found it to have a very nice screen...but I had a harder time navigating to various pages than I do with my 396. Probably a lack of familiarity...but do you find that you can navigate among screens as easily as with an X96? I can cycle and hop between map, flight plan, wx, terrain and settings with quick hits of the toggle and menu buttons on the 396, while it seemed that I had to go back to menus on the Aera to select between various pages. Seemed more arduous, but again, it could be just lack of familiarity. Can you describe your experience with your 510 so far? I really like my 396...but the new tech is inviting! Also, to your knowledge, does AirGizmos make an Aera dock that would fit in the same spot as my 396 dock? (Will look on their website too!)

That might be a little thread drift, but it might be a valuable adjuct to the discussion...call it 396 v 496 v Aera. :)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

I am really liking the Aera. I had a 296 that was well used and have used a 496 some. The Aera is just different and once you get used to it, it makes sense. I find it no harder to use than the X96 now but when I first got it it was a little harder due to being so familiar to the 296. In some ways the Aera is faster once you get used to moving back a step to move forward since most screens are only a back button and screen select button away vs all the page rotations on the X96. Lots of other differences as well but the keyboard sure makes typing characters easier!!!

They just upgraded the firmware to allow you to use the Aera as a media player while in Aviation mode. That is great since you don't need another music player that way....

Airgizmo does make a mount and it fits the same hole and screw locations as the original X96 mount. It fits the angle adapters as well. I used one to make my swap easy...

Private airports are a big plus on the 496 and Aera that are not in the 296-396 models. The fast 5hz update rate makes the map much more fluid and the panel page almost real time. The processor in the Aera must be a screamer as it keeps up with whatever you throw at it.

Brian, sounds like you have used both an X96 and your new Aera. I recently played with a friend's Aera (on the ground), and found it to have a very nice screen...but I had a harder time navigating to various pages than I do with my 396. Probably a lack of familiarity...but do you find that you can navigate among screens as easily as with an X96? I can cycle and hop between map, flight plan, wx, terrain and settings with quick hits of the toggle and menu buttons on the 396, while it seemed that I had to go back to menus on the Aera to select between various pages. Seemed more arduous, but again, it could be just lack of familiarity. Can you describe your experience with your 510 so far?Also, to your knowledge, does AirGizmos make an Aera dock that would fit in the same spot as my 396 dock? (Will look on their website too!)

Last edited:
in a word, nope.

Thanks James...that's about a $500 word! ;) Good feedback!

Bob,

I am really liking the Aera. I had a 296 that was well used and have used a 496 some. The Aera is just different and once you get used to it, it makes sense. I find it no harder to use than the X96 now but when I first got it it was a little harder due to being so familiar to the 296. In some ways the Aera is faster once you get used to moving back a step to move forward since most screens are only a back button and screen select button away vs all the page rotations on the X96. Lots of other differences as well but the keyboard sure makes typing characters easier!!!

The last sentence could be worth the price of admission (among other nice features you describe)...396 flight plan entry is painful!

They just upgraded the firmware to allow you to use the Aera as a media player while in Aviation mode. That is great since you don't need another music player that way....!!!

Do tell! I need to look at the website! What's the input set-up 2.5/3.5mm jack? Interesting!

Airgizmo does make a mount and it fits the same hole and screw locations as the original X96 mount. It fits the angle adapters as well. I used one to make my swap easy....

Cool...any pics yet? Would love to see your latest work!

Private airports are a big plus on the 496 and Aera that are not in the 296-396 models. The fast 5hz update rate makes the map much more fluid and the panel page almost real time. The processor in the Aera must be a screamer as it keeps up with whatever you throw at it.

Roger all, and thanks for the great report. Now if I can sneak into my buddy's hangar and play with his new toy some more...:p

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

Here are the details on how I found out about this media player...

It uses its built in xSD card slot for the media and it outputs it over the data cable flying leads for hardwired applications and it has a regular stereo 3.5mm jack built into the side and the pre made cables that it comes with....

I did not take a pic but it looks just like an Aera mounted where the 296 was in this mount:

Aera_GPS6.jpg

Do tell! I need to look at the website! What's the input set-up 2.5/3.5mm jack? Interesting!

Questions on 396/496/Aera:

So do you guys that have used both a 396 and a 496 feel it would be worth the $$ to sell my 396 and upgrade to a 496?
I would consider the Aera 560 before upgrading to the 496. I find the Aera much easier to use than the x96 units. Have owned both the 396 and 496. I currently have a 696 plus an Aera 550 and 560.

One of the nicest features on the Aera (besides size) is how you can just touch the screen to get all of the info on a waypoint, airport, weather or whatever. The quick disconnect mount feature is awesome too. The unit makes all of its connections thru the mount.

I take my 560 whenever I travel. For the last few days I've been in Las Vegas and San Jose using it in the rental cars. Nice to have XM radio on the road too. The 560 is a much better automotive GPS than the 510 or 496.

I bought an Aera 560 during the week of AOPA Expo in November last year. I can honestly say its the best aviation tool I've purchased so far. And I've owned them all :D

One thing to keep in mind if looking to purchase a new unit the Aera 560 and 550 come with a years worth of free databse updates whereas the 496 does not.

I think the Aera 560 is a better deal than the 510 if you like to update your databases frequently. Plus you get AOPA Airport database and Safetaxi. I use both all of the time.

Last edited:
Back