- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Default Check this if you have an injected engine...

In the interest of safety I figure I should post this. I discovered it yesterday during a Prebuy inspection on an RV-10 that had been flying for 8 years and 300 hours. The rubber shipping cap had been left installed on the fitting at the injection spider on top of the engine. This fitting is typically connected to a round dial fuel flow gauge, such as in older Bonanzas and Cessnas. Pressure at this point varies in relation to fuel flow, and can be anywhere from 1.5 PSI to over 35 psi! If not plugged or capped properly, a high pressure fuel stream will be the result, possibly causing a fire in the engine compartment. The builder mentioned that the plans never said to remove it. Perhaps others should check their installations? I told the builder I wanted his Guardian Angel!

(For those of you who are used to the newer electronic fuel flow sensors and wondering how this would work, basically the round dial gauge is nothing but a pressure gauge that has a faceplate on it calibrated to read fuel flow.)

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-New-Ga...KhZUQug-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-New-Ga...Q%25L7Q-X3.jpg

On another note, I am still finding way too many RV's WITHOUT the Operating Limitations, especially on RV's owned by non-builders. So, for those of you who may have purchased your airplane, please understand that the Operating Limitations, which should be on FAA letterhead, need to be in the aircraft AT ALL TIMES. The Airworthiness Certificate is invalid without them.

For those of you who are selling your airplanes to non-builders, please remember to have this discussion with them.

Many of them show me a POH when I ask about the Operating Limitations.

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 05-19-2018 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2018, 08:13 AM

Good catch Vic. Wow!

Also, for those that donít know, the Operating Limitations alone are considered the POH in experimental aircraft. You donít need a ďPOHĒ although it is a very good idea as the OPs limits are useful only to a point like for V speeds, etc....

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:56 AM

That safety wire job doesnt look legit to me.....at least not as I was taught.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 05-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Good eye Vic!
RV-8, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2018
Old 05-19-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Something Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
In the interest of safety I figure I should post this. I discovered it yesterday during a Prebuy inspection on an RV-10 that had been flying for 8 years and 300 hours. The rubber shipping cap had been left installed on the fitting at the injection spider on top of the engine. This fitting is typically connected to a round dial fuel flow gauge, such as in older Bonanzas and Cessnas. Pressure at this point varies in relation to fuel flow, and can be anywhere from 1.5 PSI to over 35 psi! If not plugged or capped properly, a high pressure fuel stream will be the result, possibly causing a fire in the engine compartment. The builder mentioned that the plans never said to remove it. Perhaps others should check their installations? I told the builder I wanted his Guardian Angel!

(For those of you who are used to the newer electronic fuel flow sensors and wondering how this would work, basically the round dial gauge is nothing but a pressure gauge that has a faceplate on it calibrated to read fuel flow.)

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-New-Ga...KhZUQug-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-New-Ga...Q%25L7Q-X3.jpg

On another note, I am still finding way too many RV's WITHOUT the Operating Limitations, especially on RV's owned by non-builders. So, for those of you who may have purchased your airplane, please understand that the Operating Limitations, which should be on FAA letterhead, need to be in the aircraft AT ALL TIMES. The Airworthiness Certificate is invalid without them.

For those of you who are selling your airplanes to non-builders, please remember to have this discussion with them.

Many of them show me a POH when I ask about the Operating Limitations.
Vic,

Something strikes me as odd here. Was this originally installed as a new engine or an aftermarket/rebuilt one? The cap that you show looks like a schrader valve cap. The factory Lycoming engines come with a red cap installed on that fitting (or at least they used to). Furthermore, your second picture shows something stuck to the AN fitting like someone tried to use adhesive or sealant on that cap. Here's how mine came from the Lycoming factory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniago View Post
That safety wire job doesnt look legit to me.....at least not as I was taught.
The safety wiring is legit and is how the factory delivers them, as you can see from the picture above. Also, here's an image from AC43-13 showing this technique:

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited by skylor : 05-19-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I couldn't tell you how it originally came and whether that valve cap was purposefully installed. The builder made the comment that the instructions did not say to remove it. it was a Van's engine, so most likely delivered from Lycoming.
What I don't know is did someone install that cap during the last 8 years? It did look like it either had some black RTV or the cap had melted some.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 05-19-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: speling
Old 05-19-2018, 02:49 PM

My engine is nearly the same vintage (2010) and yes, they ship with red plastic covers where real hardware needs to go. IMHO the builder knew the red plastic piece had to be replaced, but inexplicably chose hardware (Schrader cap) that was not at all suitable for the application. The correct part is $5 IIRC.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 PM

I couldn't find any reference to this temporary plug in the Van's FWF instructions for my RV-10, which surprised me. So before I removed it and plugged it with a proper plug, I contacted Van's to confirm that it wasn't used and did need to be plugged. With all the other details in the Van's plans, I'm surprised they missed this one.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 05-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Woah, that's disturbing! Good catch Vic!
Just checked some old pictures of my 2009 engine that came from Van's and it also had the red cap.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Default What do we use to plug it?

I am working on FWF and have a red cap as depicted in Skylorís photo. What is the correct part to plug this little doober?
RV-8A
YIO-360 180 hp Lycoming
Hartzell Blended Airfoil Prop
Engine Hung