What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint help

Anyone familiar with Sherwin-Williams products, that might can help me understand the process and products I need. I called Sherwin-Williams and just got more confused. Non-painter dazed and confused.

Rich kincaid
# is in the white pages
N315k

There is a SW dealer in Tampa International airport. He is very knowledgeable and will tell you exactly what you need. If you cannot find him, PM me and I will see if I still have his contact information.

SW products

Anyone familiar with Sherwin-Williams products, that might can help me understand the process and products I need. I called Sherwin-Williams and just got more confused. Non-painter dazed and confused.

Rich kincaid
# is in the white pages
N315k

I know P60G2 Wash Primer and Jet Flex Solvent Based interior paint pretty well.
I also researched Jet Glo Express to prepare for exterior painting so I'm familiar with the components. Let me know if I can help. My e-mail is in my signature below.

Interior or exterior? I'm using the Jetflex water based interior paint. It seems to spray pretty easily and no odor at all. I'm not sure about the comparison to the solvent based. The solvent based may be harder and more durable. I've heard good things about the water based here on VAF so I decided to go with it. Do a search. So far so good.

Careful about water based it doesn?t (necessarily) mean it?s non toxic. Wear the recommended respirator, preferably air fed. Learn a little about isocyanates. I sprayed cars for years and let?s just say I won?t ever spray one again.
I?ve switched over to vinyl wrap personally, because paint is not only toxic to the person spraying it, but it?s also blown out into the air.
Many paints contain the same solvents as a meth lab and they tear those buildings down after they locate one because of the health issues associated with them long term. Sensitization.
Two part paints are especially dangerous and are not the paints your father used.

Do your homework and be careful. There?s a reason they aren?t supposed to sell this stuff to the hobbyist anymore.

Nothing against those who choose to paint just recommending you do it responsibly. For your own health and the health of others. 😀

RTFM

Careful about water based it doesn’t (necessarily) mean it’s non toxic. Wear the recommended respirator, preferably air fed. Learn a little about isocyanates. I sprayed cars for years and let’s just say I won’t ever spray one again.
I’ve switched over to vinyl wrap personally, because paint is not only toxic to the person spraying it, but it’s also blown out into the air.
Many paints contain the same solvents as a meth lab and they tear those buildings down after they locate one because of the health issues associated with them long term. Sensitization.
Two part paints are especially dangerous and are not the paints your father used.

Do your homework and be careful. There’s a reason they aren’t supposed to sell this stuff to the hobbyist anymore.

Nothing against those who choose to paint just recommending you do it responsibly. For your own health and the health of others. ��

Or you could just read the manufacturer's MSDS :)

https://www.swaerospace.com/swaservice/hearsdata/HearsDocumentLookupAction/download/F/SWAERO/MSDS/2

Don't breathe a lot of it and use a mask, but no isocyanates.

JetFlex WR is good paint and easy to apply but since it's a one part mix it takes a while (days) to fully cure and get hard.

I painted a plane exclusively with Sherwin-Williams products last year. Yes it can be confusing. I went to Sherwin-Williams paint school for their aircraft paint products and that widdles down the choices depending on what you are painting and other considerations. They're paint school cost like $400 and is held about 4 times a year. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like and I will try to help you.

Thanks guys, wasn’t able to connect with the hawker beech services in tampa, but have gotten lined out. Mainly a communication and product ignorance on my part. Have a local A&P going to help me through the process. Painting exterior (paint and polished aluminum scheme) we’ll see in about a month. Thanks again.

I highly recommend the Sherwin-Williams Aerospace Coatings training program, held twice a year in Wichita, if you can manage it. Most attendees are homebuilders, so they'll narrow the focus to their needs, and they're great about answering follow up questions after attending. That's a good thing, because actually figuring out what materials you'll need to purchase is another complicated task. I had a great experience with Blend Supply as my S-W distributor; ask for Ryan Wilcox. I described my experience in one of my blogspot blog entries - see link in my signature.

Back