VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2018, 06:40 PM

Default Hartzell overhaul frequency

I'm not familiar with Hartzell constant speeds. What is the recommended number of hours between overhauls? And if there is nothing major to take care of what is the typical cost? Thanks
Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Overhaul

It's 72 months or 2000 hrs which ever comes first. Lower hours if the prop is used for extensive aerobatics. Expect to pay around $2.5K for a full overhaul. Some shops might be ok to just do a hub repack (I think it is called) which is not the same as a full overhaul but some people argue it is sufficient.

I just bought an RV8 that is 7 years old and I asked the seller to overhaul the prop and we came to an agreement. I'd never fell 100% happy if I knew it wasn't done at the recommended interval time.

Rogier

2018 dues paid
www.aero-image.com
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Basically, the non-"B" hub is 2000 Hours/72 Months, and the later "B" hub is 2400 Hours/72 Months (If neither are used routinely for aerobatics).

Here is what Hartzell currently says beginning on page 14 of Service Letter HC-SL-61-61Y:

http://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/u...-61Y-R11-W.pdf

Notes:

NOTE 1: Propellers or aluminum hubs manufactured or overhauled since October 1991 are required to have the hub internal surface painted for additional corrosion protection.

NOTE 3: Acrobatic (aerobatic) aircraft are defined as certificated acrobatic category aircraft or other aircraft routinely exposed to maneuvers beyond those specified for utility category aircraft as defined in 14 CFR 23.3. Once a propeller is used on an aerobatic aircraft, the specified overhaul times for an aerobatic propeller are to be maintained until overhaul is performed, even if the propeller is later installed on a non-aerobatic aircraft.

NOTE 4: Two blade, aluminum hub propellers or two blade aluminum hubs on reciprocating engines manufactured after April 1997 use an improved hub "fillet radius" and will be identfied with a sufix letter "B" in the serial number. Refer to Figure 9.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-27-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:38 PM

Perhaps you should read Mike Bush's commentary in Sport Aviation December 2011 issue. It was very informative.
Manufacturer-specified TBOs are almost never required by regulation. It is like engines....with regular inspection and maintenance they can go well beyond TBO. I think he said his engines on his 310 were at 200 percent of TBO, and his props hadn't been overhauled in 21 years.
Allen
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 AM

Engine TBO's you are correct on, propeller TBO's don't get any extension.

Low hour usage can be sorted with disassemble, inspect, grease, reseal and reassemble.

They are out front, have a hard life and can suffer corrosion and ball wearing

They need a look at

Donated in 2018
Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mike is flying a TWIN. There's no way I would fly one of our single-engine airplanes without constantly paying close attention to the propeller, including complying with the manufacture's recommendations on overhauls.
Just last week I inspected an RV-6 that had been flying since 2002, with no overhaul on the prop and no record of greasing it either! In fact, the owner said he didn't grease it because that way it would not sling grease.

Amazing what you hear sometimes.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 AM

In my conversation with Hartzell, they mentioned one of the concern is corrosion and if one lives in a dryer environment (CA, AZ, etc) it would be reasonable to extend the 7 year period providing their is no issues.

The cost of an overhaul in some of the shops is just crazy, nearly half or more of a new prop.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Mike is flying a TWIN. There's no way I would fly one of our single-engine airplanes without constantly paying close attention to the propeller, including complying with the manufacture's recommendations on overhauls.
Just last week I inspected an RV-6 that had been flying since 2002, with no overhaul on the prop and no record of greasing it either! In fact, the owner said he didn't grease it because that way it would not sling grease.

Amazing what you hear sometimes.

Vic
Thanks much for that info. I inquired about an RV currently being advertised. When I asked what year it was built and when the prop was last overhauled the answer was the aircraft was 15 years old, and I don't know, but I welcome any pre-buy inspection. Ok....next......
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM

So just curious how many folks comply with the recomendations from Lycoming:

"All engine models are to be overhauled within twelve (12) calendar years of the date they first entered service or of last overhaul. This calendar year time period TBO is to mitigate engine deterioration that occurs with age, including corrosion of metallic components and degradation of non-metallic components such as gaskets, seals, flexible hoses and fuel pump diaphragms."

Personally I don't feel like Lycoming and Hartzell's worst case scenero for environmental deterioration applies to most well taken care of and always hangered RV's. I like to let folks know what the recommended schedule is, but pulling a perfectly operating and properly maintained prop or engine due to calendar time, well it's just not what I would call a show stopper.
But to each thier own.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 02-27-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Personally I don't feel like Lycoming and Hartzell's worst case scenero for environmental deterioration applies to most well taken care of and always hangered RV's. I like to let folks know what the recommended schedule is, but pulling a perfectly operating and properly maintained prop or engine due to calendar time, well it's just not what I would call a show stopper.
But to each thier own.
I agree with Walt

Particularly with the propeller
Hartzell doesn't differentiate storage environment.
There is a big difference between sitting outside in the open, in a harsh climate for 6 years, vs always being in a hangar in an area with a mild climate, when not being flown.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")