What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Empty Weight

jlisler

Well Known Member
OK guys. What does your RV-4 weigh empty? I did a preliminary weighing today and was not satisfied with the numbers I got. My plane is an O-320 with a wood prop. It has a harmonic balancer, long gear legs with wooden stiffeners, Oregon Aero seats (I know they are heavy), no vacuum system, and wing leveler auto-pilot. The rest is pretty much standard. The paint job is fairly elaborate so it may weigh slightly more than usual. The numbers came in at 1006 lbs.
I suspect the scales I am using may not be accurate. They are electronic race car scales made to weigh all four wheels of a car at one time. I had a little trouble with repeatability so I am going to try a different set of scales today.

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV-4 N455J
Cessna C-140A N9641A

Transition Training with Pierre Smith on Wednesday and Thursday!
First flight soon there after.

Last edited:
I'm equiped almost as your are. 0-320, Catto 3 blade, balancer, short legs, no vacuum system, autopilot, paint and we are at "972" lbs. (note weight correction)

Last edited:
Weight

I'm 964lb @ 17%MAC with O-360-A1A, standard carb, starter, magnetos. Short gear legs, wood prop, Odyssey PC545 battery, Datsun alternator, no lights or gyros, some paint, no upholstery.

Back