Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Default When did you first see / hear of an RV?

Paul's thread on the oldest RV-6(A) got me thinking about the first time I had heard about an RV.

It was in 1989, my wife and I were taking a tower tour at SNA along with another young couple. They had just started building an RV-4 and we're rightfully very excited and told us all about it. I sure wish I had taken him up on his offer to look at his project.

I wonder if he ever finished it?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 02-05-2016 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Corrected the date (From 1988 to 1989)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM

That's a really good question. I'd guess about a year and a quarter ago. Not sure *how* I found out about them.

Very glad I did. Within a year I found one and flew it home. Owned it since July 2015.

Last edited by Saville : 02-05-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM

I first heard of RV's when I saw it modelled in Microsoft Flight, 4 years ago. Beautiful RV-6A in that short lived flight simulator.

3 years later (Feb 2015) I saw (flew in/flew) my first RV, it just so happened to be the exact plane that the Microsoft Flight version was modelled after, same paint scheme, same registration number. This was at the Axsys Air builder course in Washington.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018
Old 02-04-2016, 12:37 PM

Default First RV

Seeing Van and the RV-3 at the Oshkosh was it for me plus reading about it in various periodicals. At that time, tube and fabric planes were still the rage.

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 49 years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Saw my first RV on my first trip to OSH in 2003. I was blown away by the quality and finish of them. Like most of The Masses, I previously assumed "homebuilt" aircraft were built with bubble gum, bailing wire, and old lawnmower parts. Til that moment at OSH, I never dreamed an amateur-built aircraft could be so gorgeous. I was so struck, I created a simple chronological to-do list when I got home ...a) ground school at the local community college, b) FAA medical, c) flight training, d) order the first RV sub-kit - once I had my ticket in hand. Praise the Lord, it all worked out. Been flying my aluminum sweetheart now for 3 1/2 yrs.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM

Great forum topic. I first learned about RV's when I bought my Mooney Acclaim in September, 2011. I had never heard of or seen a Vans aircraft before that. The Mooney seller also owned an RV-8 and he took me for a ride in it. I instantly fell in love with the 8 and spent the next year and a half trying to find one that was built right. The effort paid off in May, 2013 when I found my gorgeous 8 on the other side of the country.

The Mooney seller warned me that if I bought an 8 I'd fly it more than the Acclaim. He was right!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Default 2005

I started researching kit aircrafts around 2005. Spent my first Oshkosh looking and calculating. I am glad I chose Vans. Couldn't imagine how I would build and enjoy flying something else

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:08 PM

2013 saw a -8 being built. Already had a Cherokee.

2014, the Cherokee was rented and broke down near Memphis, TN. The -8 was done and I asked for a ride to go fix the broken alternator regulator. Arrived in 2.3 hrs. Changed the regulator in about an hour. Flew back in 2.2 hours.

Found a -7A kit for sale, bought it and sold the Cherokee after finishing my PPL. Hope to be flying -7A this year.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 02-04-2016, 01:15 PM

Default First RV encounter....

I saw my first RV at Oshkosh 1980, when I saw the RV-4 prototype. I thought it was the coolest home built ever. I still have a copy of 'Kit Planes' magazine from 1980's where the RV-4 was on the cover. I ordered RV-4 plans (s/n 424?) and a tail kit in 1982. As they say life got in the way and I never got to build my RV-4.

Jump ahead 25 years or so and I was finally ready to build, by then the RV-8 was aviable and it better suited my typical mission. So after and extended build time with a SLOW build kit, I finally have my RV. My RV-8 has been flying for just over six years. I could not ask for a more wonderful airplane!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 PM

Default A long time ago and a place far away

1988. I was flying RC and ultra lights. It didn't take long to figure out that I couldn't go very far or very fast, then I saw the picture of Van's daughter standing in middle of all the parts to build an RV4. Hey, I can do that, it's just a big RC model,,,, well a little bigger and a little more expensive but still doable. So here I am, a little older and a lot poorer having built an RV4, then a 6 and last of all a 7A. We have been to all four corners of the country and a thousand points in between. What a life and what an aircraft. Thanks Van.

PS. N99WB where are you????

Last edited by mtnflyer : 02-04-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Addition