What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch: how change intercom volume?

rotorbailey

I'm working on my recently first-flighted Berkut 540 with James Redmon. We've been able to set up all the external audio volumes to custom levels, but we're unable to find any way to change the intercom volume. By default it is set at a painfully-high level.

I searched on intercom in the Pilot's Guide and couldn't find anything. Is there a separate manual for the intercom?

I'm working on my recently first-flighted Berkut 540 with James Redmon. We've been able to set up all the external audio volumes to custom levels, but we're unable to find any way to change the intercom volume. By default it is set at a painfully-high level.

I searched on intercom in the Pilot's Guide and couldn't find anything. Is there a separate manual for the intercom?

Hello Rotorbailey,

Did you install an audio panel (and if so which one), or did you end up using a GTR 20 for your COM and intercom?

We will need to know this before we can answer your question.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks. The G3X is using the GTR-20 for com 1 and built in intercom. No external audio panel.

Hello Rotorbailey,

Just touch the "Audio" button at the top of the display and set the Intercom Volume using the touch control or the knob. In this example it is set to 50%.

Image14.jpg

Congratulations on your first flight! Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thank you. There is no "AUDIO" button onscreen. Is this because there is a ?Com2? control button on the right? (We added the extra connection to the GTN 650 for remote com control, anticipating the next GTN upgrade.)

Steve, thank you. There is no "AUDIO" button onscreen. Is this because there is a ?Com2? control button on the right? (We added the extra connection to the GTN 650 for remote com control, anticipating the next GTN upgrade.)

Christian,

Yes, I think you figured it out.

Page 29-121 of the Rev. T G3X Installation Manual describes how to enable/disable the stereo intercom built into the GTR 20 radio, but the system also recognizes that if you have dual COM, you must have an audio panel with intercom and COM mic selection for multiple radios, so it auto-disables the intercom function built into the GTR 20 since it doesn't support multiple radios.

If you disable COM2, your can enable the intercom function built into the GTR 20, see an Audio button on the top bar of the display, and enjoy all the touch screen controlled intercom and music controls.

You probably have your terrain/obstacle/traffic/etc aural alerts wired into the AUX1 audio input on the GTR 20, so this is another reason you want to configure your system to correctly use the GTR 20 as your sole COM radio and intercom.

If you really want to use two COM radios and touch tune them from your GDU 460, you will need an audio panel. The new GTN V6.XX software that supports this will be out soon, and your G3X Touch software is already capable of supporting this interface.

Thanks,
Steve

Well that's quite frustrating - in collaboration with Aerotronics I had carefully designed a COM switch to allow me to use COM2 without a separate audio panel. We simply use a toggle switch to select MIC/PTT between COM1 and COM2. A separate toggle disables COM2 audio from being fed into the GTR 20 intercom. (Yes, I understand this is a hack, and the only way to disable COM1 audio is to turn its volume all the way down.) But I plan to use COM2 only to monitor ATIS and occasional air-to-air chatter that requires dual listen.

This is all working perfectly - with the sole exception that I've lost control of the intercom volume.

I would still like to touch tune the GTN 650 from my GDU 460. Would you please look into whether there is a way to override the auto-disable of the intercom function?

Hey Christian,

Never fear, the GTN touch interface is just as awesome as the one built into the G3X Touch. Almost like the same thing but on a different screen!

So does the non touch G3X have the ability to control the intercom volume

Hello Dan,

The G3X system can use the GTR 200 COM with built-in stereo intercom, but the GTR 20 remote version of this great radio can only be used by the G3X Touch systems.

For the GTR 200, the intercom volume is easily adjusted from the front panel by pressing the Menu button. The ICS Volume is the first highlighted choice.

Thanks,
Steve

Would you please look into whether there is a way to override the auto-disable of the intercom function?

Did anyone ever answer this question?

I have the same problem (albeit with a GTR200 & GTR20) and I'm trying to design a system very similar to what rotorbailey has, without an audio panel. My PTT will be a rocker type stick mounted switch that transmits on comm1 (GTR20) when pushed forward and comm2 (GTR200) when pulled back, via a relay that switches the mic input and keys the appropriate comm. I'd want to use one of the built in intercoms (both G3X and GTR200 have one) and have the frequencies get pulled into the GTR200 from the G3X. Still waiting for a solution before I dump $20k into Garmin products.

Page 29-121 of the Rev. T G3X Installation Manual describes how to enable/disable the stereo intercom built into the GTR 20 radio, but the system also recognizes that if you have dual COM, you must have an audio panel with intercom and COM mic selection for multiple radios, so it auto-disables the intercom function built into the GTR 20 since it doesn't support multiple radios.

Just like Christian, I carefully designed a COMM switch. I worked with Stein's engineers to make it all work. While I realize, an audio panel was the ideal solution, it was overkill and out of budget.

Everything worked well until the latest G3X Touch software update.

While I would love to have an audio panel, the COMM switch was a viable - and working - solution.

I would really like to see Garmin restore the "dual COMM tuning plus intercom" functionality.

Last edited:
Sadly this never got solved. And the G3X Team did release their fancy new experimental remote audio panel. Which looks awesome, but is not worth rewiring my whole system for. The manual COM switching works well enough except that I have to manually turn down/up the volume of the G3X-controlled remote COM 1 when I switch to/from the standalone COM 2.

Now if there was just an option for one of the discretes to mute the G3X-controlled remote COM...

So what was the workaround? Did the latest software hard disable the intercom when you identify a second comm to the CAN bus/G3X?

I'm with you guys, the audio panel is overkill for my application, as I've only got a GTN 625, GTR 20 & GTR 200, so no Nav or beacon audio to monitor. And to top it off I wouldn't even use the tx toggle capability either as my comm 1/2 tx will be on a (on)/off/(on) rocker switch tied to a relay.

Right now we're thinking the only workaround is to use the GTR 20 tied to the G3X, and run the GTR 200 in isolation, not on the CAN bus so the (insert derogatory adjective here) G3X will still let me use the on board intercom.

Definitely frustrated. Especially since I just found this out after my panel was cut.

So what was the workaround? Did the latest software hard disable the intercom when you identify a second comm to the CAN bus/G3X?

You can have both the GTR20 and GTR200 on the CAN bus but you cannot configure the G3X Touch to recognize both.

If you set the G3X Touch to recognize more than one COMM it will automatically disable the intercom feature of the radio.

This new "feature" is what burned me. I think this was introduced with the 4.10 softeare. Prior to that, you could have the G3X Touch use the intercom and provide tough tuning to both COMMs.

In your case you'd avoid configuring the G3X Touch for your GTR200 and treat it as a stand-alone COMM. you would still want to wire the TX interlock between the radios. (GTR200 Install Manual Rev-E pg 4-6).

Last edited:
Interesting, ok. Now I wonder if the GTR 200 behaves the same way, if it's onboard intercom is auto disabled with the selection of 2 comms? Or maybe the GTR 200 software hasn't been "updated" (downgraded) yet and I can still use the intercom on it? My preference is to use the GTR 200 (panel mount) as my radio #1 and intercom, and GTR 20 (remote) as the #2. Do you have both or just 2 GTR 20s?

If they would just make a cheaper, <$400, audio panel "lite" box that didn't have all the miscellaneous stuff I don't need, just had 2 comm implementation and blbluetooth maybe I would buy that. But I ain't spending $1k for all that extra stuff. Maybe they could just charge $200 for a software unlock? Either way, stinks to have to do all this work to something that *is* natively capable in the system.

If they would just make a cheaper, <$400, audio panel "lite" box that didn't have all the miscellaneous stuff I don't need, just had 2 comm implementation and blbluetooth maybe I would buy that. But I ain't spending $1k for all that extra stuff. Maybe they could just charge $200 for a software unlock? Either way, stinks to have to do all this work to something that *is* natively capable in the system.

You're likely to see a few GMA240's pop up after the GMA 245 becomes readily available, look for an ad for mine soon :D

Last edited:
In small tandem aircraft with GPS only IFR nav the issue with the audio panel is, in order:
1. Panel space
2. Weight
3. Cost
4. Capability that I don't need (Nav audio, Marker beacon)

If someone gave me an audio panel I wouldn't install it. Just my $.02
I'll make sure I post up what the final work around is, so like-minded minimalists can do the same.

What we found

We looked at this for a long time before putting a panel together. I have to cut Steve's guys and Garmin some slack on this one. We when about going for the need to be able to add whatever comes along down the road. In our case that would be a GTN-650, if we have need for it later on. We found that you can put an auto pilot controller, an audio panel, a nav-com and a GTN-650 all in a nice stack and still leave room for a buss below that on the left side of an RV-8 stock panel. Then put a 10.6 inch tough GUD-460 to the right of that and still have room for back up instruments just to the right of that. We picked GA-340 as it has a TSO'ed marker beacon receiver built into it. All you need is the antenna to plug into the back. It can be done in a small space and still allow for add-ons and up-grades as they come along and it will not brake the bank with the addition of a 900 dollar audio panel and a 60 dollar antenna & some cable. Just what we did. Hope this helps.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

We looked at this for a long time before putting a panel together. I have to cut Steve's guys and Garmin some slack on this one. We when about going for the need to be able to add whatever comes along down the road. In our case that would be a GTN-650, if we have need for it later on. We found that you can put an auto pilot controller, an audio panel, a nav-com and a GTN-650 all in a nice stack and still leave room for a buss below that on the left side of an RV-8 stock panel. Then put a 10.6 inch tough GUD-460 to the right of that and still have room for back up instruments just to the right of that. We picked GA-340 as it has a TSO'ed marker beacon receiver built into it. All you need is the antenna to plug into the back. It can be done in a small space and still allow for add-ons and up-grades as they come along and it will not brake the bank with the addition of a 900 dollar audio panel and a 60 dollar antenna & some cable. Just what we did. Hope this helps.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

You mean like this:
IMG_7406-625.jpg

This is a "VFR" panel I did that is "IFR" upgradeable, the G5 is going in on the right soon and owner is contemplating replacing the GTR200 with a 650 (already has a GTR20 as com 2).
All that is required is to move the audio panel down a bit and we're good to go (radio rails were extended when installed in preparation for the 650 install)

I understand the "minimalist" thing, but if you could get a used GMA240 for $500- $600 that's an awful lot of useful features for that money.
I use both radios and my audio panel every single time I fly, I can't imagine going back to a standalone intercom with toggle switches like I used to have.

Last edited:
So where do I put the audio panel? GTN 625 and GTR 200 go above 307. G5 on the right
tN63vCuNeAiw62L60O2a871-P0d3aR9TEP09iIxq4aQHGcY1oUOmOA4F_3RO00tgfEI9H2Ix-woj7M-8UQmeelz8-UpfxSf5eMYwRC5X_o-yuX3WUSn52rFBMKeM6Azygi2t1gFNHLIlJnYEW_5Jr6pWSOpnkFO-8_S52fNS0Oj0qrAXZNBIRM0PhxljqpHbKXcoRyXqZ1ZxDA-NKqKIhkRTz35jr2QpfkZ5gdMjMR9wQvYBgHr2mrMBL8ooQpvdtZkzcQdvuwP_gHOTJe2mQgD0Z9pB5arVHoaQWPoe5gFCE72xi6_ZxJbquQT7Ap0eAY--WRLtL6hONXXjbKDI6VtHWiqa4gwL7vD_nS-2IxJXUT_OAZNpWgOHelZPjf5w9N1GMGBaVne6wwunNYy3jynVuIMiEdIaCHWjPAEA-bjyAWf9T46Z80Tg7bIOubJgd-i7F2yXLW73bZu_hHumChEoIZezrl6yqFwBWXDh4ndwAekiicqwYo0lRNc6R4XZf07VUao_PlocX6_lAvaDL3G-N5vemQ0vqucCTki4QSgK6onxfjz7si14a9OAE5p4S6JiQtEMmf8eDfVF7Pr8HKliQiVLc8w=w894-h670-no

Last edited:
The RV4 panel (what that looks like) is definitely a bit "space challenged" with a 10" display.
You may have room on top of the display.

Last edited:
I use both radios and my audio panel every single time I fly, I can't imagine going back to a standalone intercom with toggle switches like I used to have.

I have just the opposite experience. My #2 is almost never used, except for ATIS. When I had an audio panel I left #2 audio selected on all the time, and just turned up the volume when I wanted to hear the atis. When I built the RV I built in an intercom with a transmit select switch that I rarely use. Com audio is hard wired in, and I still use the volume control to hear or not hear it.
This is true for both vfr and ifr flying.
The nice thing about EAB, you choose what's right for you!

Hello all,

We certainly didn't intend for a simple software change to cause such a fuss. In fact, we were attempting to solve another problem entirely, which was that customers with two radios and an audio panel were mistakenly enabling the internal intercom on their GTR 20/200 and suffering a variety of audio issues as a result. In order to prevent this from happening and to reduce the number of support calls we receive, we thought it would be a good idea to inhibit the use of the radios' internal intercoms in cases where we know there are two radios installed, on the assumption that there would generally always be an audio panel installed. Since we have pretty clearly communicated that the internal intercom in the GTR 20/200 is designed only to be used in cases where there is a single radio in the airplane, and because we assumed that few builders with high-tech instrument panels would put up with using toggle switches to select between com radios, we did not expect that this would be a controversial change. So, internet conspiracy theories to the contrary, this is a "no good deed goes unpunished" situation.

However, homebuilders will be homebuilders, and apparently there are several of you out there who have installed dual com radios without an audio panel to switch between them. With this in mind, we will make a change to the next GDU 4xx software maintenance release that once again allows the internal intercom on the #1 com radio to be enabled even if the system knows there are multiple com radios installed.

By the way, for those builders who are out of panel space but who still desire a full-featured audio panel, we recently announced the GMA 245R, which is fully controlled via the G3X Touch display and features the same state-of-the-art intercom as the GTR 20/200, plus Bluetooth capability and a digital clearance recorder.

- Matt

Matt (and all the g3xperts) - THANK YOU!

I know, personally, I've been a squeaky wheel on the G3X Touch 4.1 software change to the intercom. I always suspected it was intended to avoid certain configurations which might generate confusion.

For those of us who "figured out the lite solution", I appreciate that you (and Garmin) are here and listening!

I second that thanks! You guys are first rate in my book in responding to stuff on this system, and I haven't even applied power yet!

Thanks again!

You mean like this:
IMG_7406-625.jpg

This is a "VFR" panel I did that is "IFR" upgradeable, the G5 is going in on the right soon and owner is contemplating replacing the GTR200 with a 650 (already has a GTR20 as com 2).
All that is required is to move the audio panel down a bit and we're good to go (radio rails were extended when installed in preparation for the 650 install)

I understand the "minimalist" thing, but if you could get a used GMA240 for $500- $600 that's an awful lot of useful features for that money.

Yes, Walt: this is it and it works very well. We put the auto pilot controller at the top of the stack. The audio panel "GA-340" in the #2 slot. A 255-B Nav., com. in the # 3 slot and yes we have the rails go all the way down so the GNT-650 can be put in anytime we wish. This way we Have VOR, ILS, with Marker all TSO'ed to start with so that the Glide Slope is our fall back if we get a bad weather report at our intended L.Z. Also I too need to look a lot closer at the new little back-up box from Team-X and see if it will go into my wish list. Maybe I can cotes Steve into showing it to me this year at the Big Show. Thanks, you have the right idea here for an "8".
Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Back