- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone - think I now have the info I need
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2018 Donation Made
Old 03-20-2015, 09:34 AM

Looks like I need another bit of info. Do Slick mags come with a RPM sensor fitted? I see in Aircraft Spruce, the Hall effect sensors are pretty pricey but they say "replacement"

If not, I assume you can sense the high volt output?
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2018 Donation Made
Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
Looks like I need another bit of info. Do Slick mags come with a RPM sensor fitted? I see in Aircraft Spruce, the Hall effect sensors are pretty pricey but they say "replacement"

If not, I assume you can sense the high volt output?
No. My RPM sensor came with the sensor package associated with my EFIS. In my case a UMA T1A9-1 for my Garmin G3X. Best answer is to get with whomever made your Tach, whether it be digital or analog, and see what they recommend as the solution may not involve the mags at all.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 03-20-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM

I have the same engine with a Slick mag on the left and Lightspeed on the right. Starts first time every time. Almost no mag drop on the Lightspeed alone, it is very efficient.

My sensor package from Advanced Flight included an rpm sensor that screws into the side of the Slick mag.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks again.

I have Skyview and they don't do a RPM sensor. The manual shows how to use a straight pick off from the P-lead with a resistor. Think I'll try that before forking out $$$$$.....
ZU-IIZ - "Zeus"
2018 Donation Made
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM

Sounds like you have what you need but just for info, I also have a D4A5 with Slicks... I have no impulse coupler nor a slick start vibrator and it starts fine with massive electrode plugs.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 AM

I had a lot of trouble with the p-lead pickup recommended by the SkyView install. I have a single Slick plus Electroair. In order to analyze the problem, I purchased a portable digital sampling oscilloscope and captured p-lead waveforms in flight.

What I found was a complex, variable amplitude waveform that depends on external factors... Compression ratio, Cylinder number RPM, MAP, plug gap etc. a 'one size fits all' resistor value did not work.

Since I get juiced by solving technical problems, I decided to develop the P-TACH magneto p-lead pulse stabilizer. (see link).

I posted the design as an Open-source project, but it can procured as a completed device. I think the variable reluctance sensors that mount to the magneto are fine as well, as long as you want to run the wires.

Something this simple shouldn't be so complicated and 90% of installations don't seem to have probems. The rest of us have that odd combination of circumstances that require help.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction