What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft ident markings Canada.

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I've been looking through the Canadian regs trying to determine what size markings I have to put on the sides of my airplane. I've had little luck finding an definitive answer. My plan is to put the 20" letters under the wing and I was hoping to get away with 3" letters on the vertical stab. I don't want to put 11" letters on the side of the fuselage and the rudder is checkered so I don't want any letters on it either. If anyone can let me know what's required I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Will have to look up the exact wording the in the CARS, but all that is required is 6" letters on the tail or fuse. There is a limit to the slant and style. We had huge letters on the side before paint and found out it's not necessary. All spelled out in the CARS if you look. PM me if you can't find it.

As per transport Canada, here....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part2-standards-222-1005.htm

Specifications for the Letters in the Marks Displayed on Aircraft

(2) The letters in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall meet the following specifications:

(a) be of equal height;

(b) subject to subsections (c) and (d), the height of each letter in the marks displayed on a heavier-than-air aircraft shall be not less than 15 cm (5.9 inches);

(c) the height of each letter in the marks displayed on the bottom surface of a wing of a heavier-than-air aircraft shall be not less than 50 cm (19.68 inches);

(d) the height of each letter in the marks displayed on the bottom surface of the fuselage or cabin of a rotorcraft shall be the lesser of

(i) 50 cm (19.68 inches), and

(ii) four fifths of the width of the fuselage or cabin;

(e) the height of each letter in the marks displayed on a lighter-than-air aircraft shall be not less than 50 cm (19.68 inches);

(f) the width of each letter in the marks displayed on an aircraft, other than the letters "I", "M" and "W", shall be two thirds of the letter's height;

(g) the width of the letter "I" in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be one sixth of the letter's height;

(h) the width of the letter "M" or "W" in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall not exceed the letter's height;

(i) the length of a hyphen in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be two thirds of the height of any letter in the marks;

(j) the thickness of the lines of a letter or hyphen in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be one sixth of the height of any letter in the marks;

(k) the letters in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be displayed adjacent to each other in a series;

(l) adjacent letters in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be separated by a space that is not less than one quarter of the width of the letter "C" in the marks;

(m) a letter in the marks displayed on an aircraft that is adjacent to a hyphen shall be separated from the hyphen by a space that is not less than one quarter of the width of the letter "C" in the marks;

Marks Displayed at an Angle

(n) where the letters of marks are displayed at an angle,

(i) the letters are displayed at an angle of not more than plus or minus 35 degrees to the perpendicular of their base,

(ii) the angle of each letter and of both sides of the hyphen comprising the marks are the same,

(iii) the height of the letters is measured perpendicular from the base line of the letters, and

(iv) the width of the letters, the spacing between the letters and the width of the hyphen are measured parallel to the base line and between the lines that define the outside edges of each letter and the hyphen;

Paul, here's the link to the Reg's:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part2-standards-222-1005.htm#222_01

What appear to be the important parts:

Heavier-than-Air-Aircraft Other than Helicopter or Gyroplane

(g) except as provided in paragraph 222.01(2)(p), once parallel to the longitudinal axis
(amended 2000/06/01; previous version)

(i) on each side of the fuselage or an alternative structure in the area between the wing and the tail surface,

(ii) in the case of a single vertical tail on each side surface of the tail, or

(iii) in the case of a multi-vertical tail on each outboard surface of the tail;

(iv) where an engine pod or other appurtenance occupies the area between the wing and the tail surface of a heavier-than-air aircraft and is an integral part of the side surface of the fuselage or an alternative structure, the marks of the aircraft shall be displayed on the outboard surface;

(h) the display of marks on the bottom surface of the wings is optional,

(i) where the marks are displayed and the aircraft has one set of wings, the marks shall be placed once on the bottom surface of the wings or, where the aircraft has more than one set of wings, once on the bottom surface of the lowest wings

(A) extending from wing tip to wing tip or on the left wing only,

(B) equidistant, to the extent possible, from the leading and the trailing edges, and

(C) with the letters arranged with their tops toward the leading edge; or

(i) where the marks are not displayed on the bottom surface of the wings, the height of the marks that are displayed on the side surfaces in accordance with subsection (g) shall be displayed in accordance 222.01(2)(o).

(2) The letters in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall meet the following specifications:

(a) be of equal height;

(b) subject to subsections (c) and (d), the height of each letter in the marks displayed on a heavier-than-air aircraft shall be not less than 15 cm (5.9 inches);

(c) the height of each letter in the marks displayed on the bottom surface of a wing of a heavier-than-air aircraft shall be not less than 50 cm (19.68 inches);

(d) the height of each letter in the marks displayed on the bottom surface of the fuselage or cabin of a rotorcraft shall be the lesser of

(e) the height of each letter in the marks displayed on a lighter-than-air aircraft shall be not less than 50 cm (19.68 inches);

(f) the width of each letter in the marks displayed on an aircraft, other than the letters "I", "M" and "W", shall be two thirds of the letter's height;

(g) the width of the letter "I" in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be one sixth of the letter's height;

(h) the width of the letter "M" or "W" in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall not exceed the letter's height;

(i) the length of a hyphen in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be two thirds of the height of any letter in the marks;

(j) the thickness of the lines of a letter or hyphen in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be one sixth of the height of any letter in the marks;

(k) the letters in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be displayed adjacent to each other in a series;

(l) adjacent letters in the marks displayed on an aircraft shall be separated by a space that is not less than one quarter of the width of the letter "C" in the marks;

(m) a letter in the marks displayed on an aircraft that is adjacent to a hyphen shall be separated from the hyphen by a space that is not less than one quarter of the width of the letter "C" in the marks;

Marks Displayed on Side Surfaces of a Heavier-than-Air-Aircraft
When not Displayed Under the Wing or Cabin

(amended 2000/06/01; no previous version)

(o) the height of the letters in the marks on the side surfaces of a heavier-than-air aircraft that does not display marks under the wing or cabin, shall be 30 cm (11.8 inches), except that, where required by the dimensions of the structure of the aircraft, that height may be reduced to:

(i) the maximum height allowed by the dimensions of the structure of the aircraft or a height of 15 cm (5.9 inches), whichever is greater, or

(ii) in the case of a glider, an amateur-built aircraft or an ultra-light aeroplane, the maximum height allowed by the dimensions of the structure of the aircraft or a height of 7.5 cm (3 inches), whichever is greater,

provided that a margin of 5 cm (1.970 inches) can be maintained as required under subparagraph 222.01(1)(b)(iii); and
(amended 2000/06/01; previous version)

(p) where either one of the surfaces referred to in paragraph 222.01(1)(g) is large enough for display of marks meeting the size requirements of paragraph (o) and the other is not, full size marks shall be placed on the larger surface.

So, I think you're OK with 15cm marks on the sides of the fuse or tail if you have marks on the bottom of the wing >= 50cm.

Simple, right? :p

As per transport Canada, here....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part2-standards-222-1005.htm

(a) be of equal height;

Marks Displayed at an Angle

(n) where the letters of marks are displayed at an angle,

(i) the letters are displayed at an angle of not more than plus or minus 35 degrees to the perpendicular of their base,

(ii) the angle of each letter and of both sides of the hyphen comprising the marks are the same,

(iii) the height of the letters is measured perpendicular from the base line of the letters, and

(iv) the width of the letters, the spacing between the letters and the width of the hyphen are measured parallel to the base line and between the lines that define the outside edges of each letter and the hyphen;

Holy smokes Bat Man. Is is even possible to comply 100% ? Maybe this is a test to see if you actually can follow instructions and are technical enough to have built the thing in the first place??

Bevan

Thank Graham.

I was just about to paste the same section. Good read huh? :)

Like you've highlighted. it looks like 3" letters are acceptable as long as you have the big ones under the wing, that's my interpretation anyhow.

I've seen a few RVs around that are done that way and haven't heard of anyone being harassed by the letter police.

Thanks

PS. I think I'll go 3.25" just to be on the safe side :)

Last edited:
Thank Graham.

I was just about to paste the same section. Good read huh? :)

Like you've highlighted. it looks like 3" letters are acceptable as long as you have the big ones under the wing, that's my interpretation anyhow.

I've seen a few RVs around that are done that way and haven't heard of anyone being harassed by the letter police.

Thanks

PS. I think I'll go 3.25" just to be on the safe side :)

Paul, I interpret it a bit differently...

If you have the 30cm (20") marks under wing, then you are OK to have 15cm (6") marks on the fuse/tail. The only time you can go less than 15cm is if you are required to do so due to the dimensions of the aircraft structure.

If you're limited by the aircraft structure, it seems you can go to a minimum of 7.5cm (3").

But, this is just how I interpret the gibberish in the regs. ;)

ADIZ Requirements

I can't find the reference, but I believe that entering or leaving an ADIZ, there is a requirement for the marks to be 12" high displayed on the fuselage sides.

The way I interpret all of this is that if you have 12" high marks on the fuselage sides, you don't need the underwing marks, nor the 6" tail marks and are good for ADIZ.

Put another way, if you have 6" tail marks and 20" under wing marks, if you enter or leave an ADIZ you STILL have to display 12" marks on the fuselage sides.

my two-cents.....

Paul, all this stuff is great, but I think what needs to be said:

only about 1% of the markings I've seen actually meet the regs. ( assuming you treat them as black and white). Being in the graphics business it's a pet peeve of mine.
OH, they are usually correct on a 1948 Piper Cub...back when they were taped off by hand and brushed on with dope. Now that it's EASY, nobody cares.....but I digress.

I'd say you should talk to the guy who will sign off on your markings BEFORE you paint them on, 'cause it appears that's about the only person you really need to satisfy.
...almost everyone uses the wrong letter style, adds an outline, shadow and fade..... which is totally illegal etc. etc.

you still get guys in paint shops who swear up and down that they can't be vinyl letters, ( have a close look at the next CF-18 or 747 you park next to...it's ALL vinyl). Maybe they are right, but it's not what's in common use.

I think if you read up on the ADIZ, you'd have to be penetrating our airspace from 200 nm offshore to worry about this one.

I look at it this way; layout your paint scheme, and see if 12" letters on the side don't ruin it. Pretty easy to stick 6" on the tail, and 20" underwing, where you never really see them.

of course, this advice is worth..... exactly what you paid for it! :)

Last edited:
Might be wise to check with your MD-RA inspector, as they may snag your final inspection if their interpretation of the CARs is not the same as yours.

Ralph's advice is correct. Find out what your inspector will approve.

The regs are unambiguous, once you parse through them.

20" under the wing, 3" on fuselage/tail side is acceptable.
Nothing under the wing, 11" on fuselage side is *mandatory*.

I have seen *one* Canadian RV that meets the letter (sorry) of the law. It's not mine. :p

Ralph's advice is correct. Find out what your inspector will approve.

The regs are unambiguous, once you parse through them.

20" under the wing, 3" on fuselage/tail side is acceptable.
Nothing under the wing, 11" on fuselage side is *mandatory*.

I have seen *one* Canadian RV that meets the letter (sorry) of the law. It's not mine. :p

Rob,

Out of curiousity, what size markings do you have? It looks like 3" - 4" on the tail? Do you also have the 20" under-wing? Did you have to justify the < 6" markings at all?

I'm obviously a ways out from needing to worry about it, but I'd sure like to avoid having 20" under-wing and 6" on the fuselage.

...and on it goes! .....

Might be wise to check with your MD-RA inspector, as they may snag your final inspection if their interpretation of the CARs is not the same as yours.

yeah, so, I respect eveyone's interpretation, but can someone show me where is says 3" on the tail is ok?
Line b) says 6"......and it doesn't say 'unless' you have 20" underwing....it's in addition to those. (Somewhere buried later in the section it may mention some antiques or something)
I stand to be corrected. :)
Rob, did you get some kind of conformity inspection after you imported your '6' ?

Last edited:
Also, if following the letter of the law (CARs), lettering should conform to boldness (thickness). Example- letter 'I' should be 1/3 as thick as it is high, letter 'H' vertical & horizontal strokes also 1/3 thick to height... Makes for pretty large area on a fuselage. Another quirk CARs call for unadorned Roman font where I have been advised something closer to Arial (per MS Word)

Also, if following the letter of the law (CARs), lettering should conform to boldness (thickness). Example- letter 'I' should be 1/3 as thick as it is high, letter 'H' vertical & horizontal strokes also 1/3 thick to height... Makes for pretty large area on a fuselage. Another quirk CARs call for unadorned Roman font where I have been advised something closer to Arial (per MS Word)

This old USAF font is probably about the only one that will exactly meet the US and Canadian font requirements for width, height and stroke. However, I think the Romans liked their fonts with rounded corners. Arial and helvetica are close but not correct to the FARs.

http://www.dafont.com/amarillo-usaf.font

The Canadian requirement seem to be identical to the US font requirements.

Font

So wouldn't it just be as simple as "use font xxxx" and make the letters XX inches tall???

Bevan
I expect to be dealing with this soon so I would like to know a simple answer if there is one, but I doubt it.

Out of curiousity, what size markings do you have? It looks like 3" - 4" on the tail? Do you also have the 20" under-wing? Did you have to justify the < 6" markings at all?
I honestly don't know the exact height of my letters off the top of my head. I chose the font I wanted first, then made the letters as large as I could such that they still fit the space I had for them on the tail, with reasonable whitespace front and back. I recall the height was taller than required for letters going on the tail, but I don't know by how much. I seem to recall they are about 4.5" tall. By the letter of the law, I should have 20" letters under the wing as well, but I don't and my inspector did not snag it.

Note: The requirement is for a non-serifed Roman font. Many people think this means they need to use a non-serifed font that looks like Times Roman. That's not the case. "Roman Font" here means letters formed using the Roman alphabet... A, B, C, etc. As opposed to using a Cyrillic, Hebrew, Farsi, etc. letter set. You could even use Comic Sans, if you wanted to incur the ridicule of graphic designers everywhere... :)

yeah, so, I respect eveyone's interpretation, but can someone show me where is says 3" on the tail is ok?

That 3" number is what people see when the read this section:
Marks Displayed on Side Surfaces of a Heavier-than-Air-Aircraft
When not Displayed Under the Wing or Cabin

(o) the height of the letters in the marks on the side surfaces of a heavier-than-air aircraft that does not display marks under the wing or cabin, shall be 30 cm (11.8 inches), except that, where required by the dimensions of the structure of the aircraft, that height may be reduced to:

(i) the maximum height allowed by the dimensions of the structure of the aircraft or a height of 15 cm (5.9 inches), whichever is greater, or

(ii) in the case of a glider, an amateur-built aircraft or an ultra-light aeroplane, the maximum height allowed by the dimensions of the structure of the aircraft or a height of 7.5 cm (3 inches), whichever is greater,

(p) where either one of the surfaces referred to in paragraph 222.01(1)(g) is large enough for display of marks meeting the size requirements of paragraph (o) and the other is not, full size marks shall be placed on the larger surface.

The catch is that everyone ignores the part about "maximum height allowed by the structure of the aircraft", the clause that says "whichever is greater", and the part that says "where required by the dimensions of the structure".

In plain English, every RV built has space on the side of the fuselage for 11.8" letters, and therefore the other sub-clauses no longer apply. It's not ambiguous. If you don't want letters on your wing, they have to be 11.8" on the sides. If you put 20" letters under your wing, they can be as small as 3" on the side of the fuselage or tail.

I honestly don't know the exact height of my letters off the top of my head. I chose the font I wanted first, then made the letters as large as I could such that they still fit the space I had for them on the tail, with reasonable whitespace front and back. I recall the height was taller than required for letters going on the tail, but I don't know by how much. I seem to recall they are about 4.5" tall. By the letter of the law, I should have 20" letters under the wing as well, but I don't and my inspector did not snag it.

Note: The requirement is for a non-serifed Roman font. Many people think this means they need to use a non-serifed font that looks like Times Roman. That's not the case. "Roman Font" here means letters formed using the Roman alphabet... A, B, C, etc. As opposed to using a Cyrillic, Hebrew, Farsi, etc. letter set. You could even use Comic Sans, if you wanted to incur the ridicule of graphic designers everywhere... :)

So Wingdings is out? :p

Thanks for the info. I hope to get away with marks similar to yours.

I sent an email to to my MDRA inspector today to make sure he's OK with the 3" letters. I personally don't mind the 20" letters under the wing and I have access to a vinyl graphics machine so I can make them myself. I'm hoping I can get away with the small ones on the V stab. I'll pass along what I get for a response.

I think contacting your inspector is exactly the right approach, Paul; as others have mentioned, many, many aircraft do not meet the letter of the regs, but it seems to be one of those things that the inspectors kind of roll their eyes and overlook. In my case, when I imported my plane, the inspector expressed considerable surprise that I had actually bothered to put the big letters on the underside of the wing to go along with the 6" letters on the sides of the fuselage. I don't think he would have bothered to look under the wings if I hadn't mentioned it. My hangar partner was allowed to go with 3" letters on the tail because his aircraft has a WWII paint job which would have been compromised by the letters on the sides; he was basically allowed to use the regs that apply to vintage aircraft because it has a vintage paint scheme.

Translation; call your MDRA inspector and tell him whatever he says he will sign off on in the real world is off the record!

holy cow.....it's the guvvermint again!

Wow,
Rob has done some good sleuthing here.... but I can see where the 'maximum allowed...or x inches' still causes grief.

I'll leave that alone, but just want to offer my 27 years of vinyl graphics and design advice....i hate seeing failures when a little help would avoid it.

PM me if you want examples of fonts that work ( most have to be custom modified to meet the regs) and other tips, such as not bridging seams, radiusing corners to stop cracking etc. etc.

Three inches on the side

Hi Paul

Mine is one of the aircraft you are referring to with three inch letters, and I went through this with the DOT inspector that did my preflight inspection. Rob is right saying that if you have the big letters on the bottom of the wing 3" on the side somewhere is enough of amateur built aircraft. Many of the TC people are not up to speed on amateur built regs and will tell you that 6" is needed which is true for certified aircraft. I have had this discussion once since flying my 4.

Bottom line...big letters under the wing, amateur built aircraft, 3" on the side is compliant.

Joe

Wow,
Rob has done some good sleuthing here.... but I can see where the 'maximum allowed...or x inches' still causes grief.
I think i've answered this question twice before here on VAF, and at least once on the Matronics list before that. Some people only hear what they want to, and others have serious aversions to putting any letters on the airplane at all... I've even heard of builders peeling the 20" letters off the bottom of the wings after inspection...

Hi Paul

Mine is one of the aircraft you are referring to with three inch letters, and I went through this with the DOT inspector that did my preflight inspection. Rob is right saying that if you have the big letters on the bottom of the wing 3" on the side somewhere is enough of amateur built aircraft. Many of the TC people are not up to speed on amateur built regs and will tell you that 6" is needed which is true for certified aircraft. I have had this discussion once since flying my 4.

Bottom line...big letters under the wing, amateur built aircraft, 3" on the side is compliant.

Joe

What Joe has is what I have on my -8.

Also, if following the letter of the law (CARs), lettering should conform to boldness (thickness). Example- letter 'I' should be 1/3 as thick as it is high, letter 'H' vertical & horizontal strokes also 1/3 thick to height... Makes for pretty large area on a fuselage.

Rethinking my reply above... correct thickness of letters should be 1/6 as thick as it is high, my wrong. Original post would have pretty pudgy letters indeed! Suprised nobody caught this.

Rethinking my reply above... correct thickness of letters should be 1/6 as thick as it is high, my wrong. Original post would have pretty pudgy letters indeed! Suprised nobody caught this.

I saw it, but let it go as the reg was quoted somewhere in the thread with the 1/6 number somewhere. It's remarkable just how many fonts meet this requirement, or can be tweaked to meet it using your favourite graphics program.

What Joe has is what I have on my -8.

Hey Mark,

I knew both you and Joe had the small letters, I didn't want to Rat you out in case they weren't legal.:D

I had the email I sent to my MDRA inspector bounce back and the head office didn't respond. I think I'll do as you, Joe and quite a few others and put the small letters on the tail and big ones under the wing. I'll beg for forgiveness if I need to. :eek:

LOL!

You could always put 6" letters on the tail that, um...., blow off after your final inspection....

is a picture worth 1000 words? ( 1015 u.s.)

I'll attempt a picture attachement, or go here to see what you've suspected all along.
This is based on a 6" letter, 'cause it's easy to do a 1" stroke, obviously a 3" will have a 1/2" stroke width.

https://picasaweb.google.com/payaremchuk/AircraftMarkings#5832299888545264690

AircraftMarkings

yeah, this dang browser never lets me attach a photo....sorry, you may have to use the link to my Picasa album.

3" letters

Paul....we could do a trip to Stanley and park next to you when he does the inspection and gang up on him if he says we are wrong.

Joe

Back