What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D10A "Keep Alive" wire...

flyingriki

Well Known Member
Has anyone found this is not needed if connected to a Garmin GPS? According to the literature a -396 is one of the know compatible GPSs and the keep alive wire is not used when connected. Does that mean the internal battery of the Garmin keeps the Dynon clock working? Does it wear down the Garmin battery quickly? Better to connect directly to the aircraft battery?
Thanks!!

Has anyone found this is not needed if connected to a Garmin GPS? According to the literature a -396 is one of the know compatible GPSs and the keep alive wire is not used when connected. Does that mean the internal battery of the Garmin keeps the Dynon clock working? Does it wear down the Garmin battery quickly? Better to connect directly to the aircraft battery?
Thanks!!
I believe it means the Dynon gets updated from the Garmin, when both are powered up.

I removed the keep alive wire from my D100 EFIS and D10 EMS and never had an issue.

Keep Alive not Needed with Garmin GPS

You are correct, the D-10A keep alive is not needed if you have a Garmin handheld (or any other NEMA compatible GPS). The D-10A will update itself based on the GPS datastream as soon as it gets a good signal.

There's other reasons not to connect the keep alive as well, ref the Dynon website for their service bulletins. Keep alive causes some startup/shutdown problems on some models.

Reggie

Back