What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevators Uneven?

jhearnsberger

I attached the elevator pushrod tonight and the counterbalance arm on the left elevator is 1/32" - 2/32" higher than the HS at trail position. Should I be concerned about this?

Mine was the same and I've seen several others the same either live or in pix.

I think it is a design quirk (flaw).

Elevator twist... ??

I saw a similar problem in an orphaned -7A that I acquired. Suspect that the factory bend in the elevator skin was just slightly off. Or maybe Builder One biased the fold in the process of closing the skin. With the elevators attached to the HS and aligned flush at the counterweights, the inboard trailing edge of one elevator was about 20 mm lower than the other. This was visually quite noticeable in the shop. I suspect that it would have flown okay. After much consultation, laserplaning, and noodling, we drilled out all the perimeter (spar) rivets on the bottom side of one of the elevators including the spar and leading edge roll wrap, slid the skin on that side just a skooch to the right wrt/ the elevator spar, clamped it at the spar, and checked with the laser plane again and again. Eventually drilled all the open -3 holes up to -4, countersunk, and riveted with -4 rivets. Came out surpisingly true. Wasn't as much work as it sounds like. Added a few new rivet holes in strategic locations, some of the rivets were pulled rivets out of conveninece. Caught it before the tips were attached.
So, when you see a -7A with #4 rivets on the bottom surface of one elevator, that's me. But look how good the trailing edges line up! Extra work? Yes. I'd do it again.
- Roger Kellogg

Hmmm... and the elevators were in trail when you drilled the horns, right? Not sure how attaching the pushrod would cause one of the counterbalance arms to be higher than the other.

In any event I don't think it's an issue.

Last edited:
Don't worry be happy.

No, don't worry.

Our 9A is like this...(maybe worse). We worried for several minutes, then walked around the hangar looking for a "Factory Aeroplane" with 2-piece elevators. After we'd found at a Robin where the elevators were over 3/4" different when in trail our 9A looked a whole lot better....

Back